Not much press about 2 Navy boats and 10 held by Iran

Counting out all "third world" nations as being completely backwards and unable to defend themselves in any meaningful way against a superior force is definitely hubris of the highest order. Iran is not Iraq.

The British learned this in the Falklands to their suffering, when the Argentine naval air force started dropping Exocets on the fleet. It was primarily sheer good luck that they only knocked out some supply ships, and didn't sink a carrier.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

If they had IFF, why didn't it work? But we aren't talking about our weapons. We were talking about the weapons we sell to other countries.

--

Rick
Reply to

Really? You think the President of the US can't and won't or even

*doesn't* fire military leaders who don't toe the line? It's happened. It continues to happen. Military in the US and most countries don't run the government, period!
--

Rick
Reply to

Actually, not even then---see 'Reflections on trusting trust".

They would have to hand-compile the compiler, and THEN compile the target binary.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 23:23:46 -0500, rickman Gave us:

You are still 100% bent and 100% guessing and 100% wrong.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, they can try, can't they? And then get fired.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Even when they have source code access hidden obfuscated code can occur leaving backdoors that do not get spotted. I very much doubt for instance that the UK's "Independent" Trident nuclear deterrent will actually work unless Uncle Sam wants it to. Back when we manufactured our own nuclear warheads and missiles it was another matter.

Problem with that is that there are still hangovers from the Cold War. Exocet missiles being French (a Nato ally) are obviously friendly at least if your default assumptions are primarily based on the Cold War rhetoric. In practice they took out a the UK HMS Sheffield.

I suspect we will sell Israel or Saudi Arabia anything they want to buy.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred