Mystery (electronic?) spiral seen on paving slabs seen in Norway

Can anyone in this NG tell me if this strange spiral wire arrangement embedded into occasional paving (sidewalk) slabs in a couple of Norwegian towns has an electronic purpose?

I thought that they might be positioned at points of interest so that an electronic hand-held tour guide carried by a visitor would be triggered to play the appropriate recording, but then again they may just be there for artistic purposes and not electronic at all.

Any ideas, anyone?

TIA - Dave

--
David C.Chapman - (dcchapman@minda.co.uk)
David Chapman

ent

Something to do with their electrically-heated sidewalks?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Nah. Clearly the spirals are associated with UFOs. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thre is a guy that uses piezo electric transducers or some such to light LEDs embedded into walking surfaces.

Maybe it is him.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Map sowing your position in our dual spiral arm galaxy.

Paving slab anti theft device.

Local radio network.

Ancient Norse rune. However Futhark does not feature a spiral; nor does Ogham or any other Northern EuropeanI could think of; so maybe it's from some ancient lost civilisation. Were there any road signs to Atlantis around?

Worm casts from Kratos Death Worms.

The paving slab could have been cut out of a block to show a cross section through a fossilised marine invertebrate.

--
Nemo
Reply to

That is the antenna for one of their new, ultra high power mind control weapons. Now they will have to track you down and lock you up.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Could it be a car detector coil???

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Funny, a pulse applied to the outer arms would make an excellent high voltage pulse once it reaches the inside of this spiral transmission line.

Tim

Tim Williams

In article , David Chapman writes

Just received an official answer from the Norwegian Tourist Office which reads:-

"The plates/spiral patterns in sidewalks who you ask, cover sensors for heating cables which is closed in the sidewalks. The sensors also detects humidity."

So now we all know. Thanks for all of the other interesting, and sometimes wacky, suggestions..,

- Dave

--
David C.Chapman - (dcchapman@minda.co.uk)
David Chapman

The two separate connectors running closely parallel with a slight gap is a typical rain/wetness sensor.

About 43 years ago my Dad and my Mom took fine enameled copper wire recovered from an old transformer and stitched it into a rubber mat in similar parallel loops to detect a kid wetting the bed. A little sanding to remove enamel and expose copper and the ""moisture detector"" would trip a very sensitive relay.

A stripped out old radio case housed the relay and a door bell.

UNfortunately the sensitive relay also had a lot of impedence and created an inductive kick that gave the kid more motivation to not wet the bed than was originally intended.

It quickly brought an end to bed wetting.

I've heard of people using a similar "rain gauge" or "flood gauge" in their basement to alert to the early stages of basement flooding.

Somebody suggested that with dry salt placed on top of such a detector it might conduct well enough that a sensitive relay may not even be necessary.

Higher tech versions with electronics would of course not need such low tech tricks.

On a related note, they supposedly use a higher tech version of this to detect humidity for dehumidifiers etc.

As a Northerner with heavy Nordic ancestry and lots of snow shoveling experience I was ticked off when some electrically heated sidewalks in Minneapolis in the 1980's were outlawed and turned off to save energy.

The sheer labor, physical toll on people and massive business cost of snow shoveling made me somewhat UNIMPRESSED with the energy savings.

Heated sidewalks are particularly nice when it comes to freezing rain which is what we are getting here today.

Interestingly, here in Cedar Rapids Iowa, our halls of ""Justice"" needed some new sidewalk and I noticed that heating tubes/elements were built into the new concrete sidewalk/steps.

Apparently the ""energy savings"" trend has been reversed, and some penny pincher in government realized that the cost of snow removal was indeed large enough to justify heated concrete sidewalks/steps.

I suspect that heating concrete probably also can make the concrete last MUCH longer by eliminating the freeze/thaw cycle which is EXTREMELY destructive to concrete, tearing it apart from freezing in any hairline crack.

My own "hands on" experience has taught me that contrary to textbook science, an ambient of 32 F is NOT required for unheated concrete to melt ice/snow residue left after shoveling. In PRACTICE, Ice melts on my concrete driveway at 20 F withOUT salt or heating elements, apparently due to tiny amounts of solar heat BUT aided by some exposure of the darker wet concrete to sun light.

I would suspect that the detector you noticed in Norway was to detect snow cover.

They probably turn off a master switch for the few months of summer on the permafrost (sic).

Lenge Livre' Norge.

Ya sure you betcha by golly!

Reply to
Greegor

Thanks for finding that out and posting it. I had a feeling I may be somewhere on the way to my grave and still not finding out about that since seeing the pictures. ;-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Well, it's easy for them to say that, and such an explanation is likely to allay any disquiet in most.

But is it true? I mean, if you had a system for tracking the movements of every citizen in the country, would you admit it?

Actually, it looked like a teleport-node to me, but I can't see why they'd keep that quiet, so I guess it's not one.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

They already do that by way of your cell phone/texting device.

Who are those "they" people?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Mine's almost never turned on. I doubt it can be tracked when it's off.

Every country has a "they". And it's evident that they have a lot of work, as evidence by the amount of stuff that people say "they" should do.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not the case with most folks.