Multiple Input Rectifiers

[sci.electronics.basics added to followups.]

Please, if your post truly belongs in two NGs, cross-post it rather than multiposting. You can and should put all the relevant NGs into the 'Newsgroups:' header.

them to DC (similar to what a bridge rectifier

Do a web search on "voltage multiplier" Such circuits do something similar to what you are saying.

and then some filters and regulators to get a

rectifiers together then the output of one rectifier

If your two bridge rectifiers were powered by separate windings, then the bridge DC outputs could be connected in series. Otherwise, the connection results in some high current paths that do no good.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Is there such a thing (or method) of taking multiple AC signals and converting them to DC (similar to what a bridge rectifier does) and combining those signals together in series to form one big source?

I know its possible to do with one AC signal using a common bridge rectifier and then some filters and regulators to get a relatively stable power source. However if I try to connect two bridge rectifiers together then the output of one rectifier interferes with the second... Any ideas?

Steph

Reply to
S. Ethier

yup

rectifiers

second...

yup: tell us much more about what youve got and what you want.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

yup

rectifiers

second...

yup: tell us much more about what youve got and what you want.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I read in sci.electronics.design that S. Ethier wrote (in ) about 'Multiple Input Rectifiers', on Tue, 12 Apr 2005:

It isn't clear quite what you want to do. You can't connect two bridge rectifiers to the same transformer winding and then add their DC outputs in series. But you could add the rectified outputs from two or more

**separate** secondary windings.

If you have only one winding, and you don't want more than a few tens of milliamps of current (if you are using 50 or 60 Hz), then Google for 'voltage multiplier'. Using the traditional Cockroft-Walton circuit, you can multiply by about 10 times before the thing runs out of steam, but there is a different configuration ('parallel-fed') that allows larger multiplications and is more efficient (but costs more).

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

Hello John,

You can get a lot more than a few tens of mA. I did one that took in

220V mains AC and delivered a solid 900V out at two amps, continuous duty. This was for an amp and it could have delivered more but the plates of the tubes would have changed from a reddish glow to white. Ok, the capacitor bank was the size of half a shoe box. I was young and a transformer wasn't in the cards financially. You just had to make sure that the 220V plug got plugged in one way and never the other way around...

Anyway, Steph might want to think of a switcher.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg