Mount SSOP24 on TSSOP24 footprint?

I'm designing an LED display. I'm using the TLC5926IPWP which is basically a TSSOP24 type package (0.65mm pitch), I need this due to the thermal pad. However, the SSOP24 (0.635mm pitch) version TLC5926IDBQ is available ex stock. It looks like I might be able to fit the SSOP24 version onto the TSSOP24 pads, at least to do some development work until the TSSOP24s arrive. Anyone done this, does it fit OK? The width looks like it'll just fit, the SSOP is about 0.075mm short either end of the pads (0.15mm shorter overall) so I'm guessing it'll be OK.

Thanks!

Mark.

Reply to
markp

How wide are the pads? I'd say that if the leads on the ends aren't straying off of the pads then you could certainly make it work by soldering things down carefully. Even if the end leads fall off the pads a bit you _may_, if you're _good_, be able to cheat by either bending them over or by very careful soldering.

At any rate, it's certainly not something I'd think about doing for production that required counting on two hands.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Oh no, this is just so I can do some software development while waiting for the real devices!

As a matter of interest I found this page while Googling:

I'm not sure exactly what this means, is it a common footprint?

Mark.

Reply to
markp

CPQSOP at TI.com - nothing comes up.