Protel Footprint

Is there any way that I can locate a footprint for a .156" SIP header in Protel 2004 to base various headers I have to create?

I tried searching 156 but came up with nothing......

Thanks

Reply to
Ivan

Brad,

Thank you for your advice once again! I have since my post, created a perfect header following Mfgr's specs for suggested hole size, etc. Turned out perfectly. How can I base other connectors on the one I just made. In otherwords, what is the best way to copy footprint to a blank new component, modify it and save it as a different footprint?

I made a SIP8-156 and would like to copy and modify it and save it as a SIP3-156?

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Brad,

I hope I haven't wasted too much of your time. I learned through the help files how to copy component. I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.... Your guidance has been very helpful to me.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Ivan, As most any PCB designer will tell you, you should learn quickly to make your own footprints. The time wasted looking for footprints can usually be used to make one from scratch just as quickly and you will know it is right and how it was put together. This would be especially true for the SIP header type parts you are looking for right now. It is a simple process, just take 15 minutes to do the first couple and then you will quickly be doing them in less than 5 minutes for medium complexity footprints. Afterall what is a 0.156" SIP header, 1 row of pads spaced

0.156" apart with a silkscreen outline and some form of pin 1 identifier. Less than one minute to make irregardless of how many pins. Here is a tip, set your grid to 0.156", then when you place the pads you do not have to measure, just click over one grid space from the last one and you can't screw it up. You can place about 1 pad per second in this manner.
--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander

"Ivan"  wrote in message
> Is there any way that I can locate a footprint for a .156" SIP
header
> in Protel 2004 to base various headers I have to create?
>
> I tried searching 156 but came up with nothing......
>
> Thanks
Reply to
Brad Velander

Ivan, I was wondering what part you didn't understand about making variations. You are right, here are the formal steps that I use when working from an existing land pattern.

1) Make a new component. Cancel the land pattern wizard as soon as it comes up. 2) Rename the blank component to your desired name. Tools, Rename. 3) Go to the original part. Copy, ctrl C, remember to click your origin point after the ctrl C (this is a silly Protel gotcha, no click, no copy). 4) Go to the new blank part, click in the work area. Paste, crtl V. Click on the origin point (assuming that is where you clicked when copying the original). 5) Then edit the original part copy through regular cut and paste routines. Be sure to renumber the pads added or copied as needed to ensure correct numbering. 6) When editing the part I will usually use group copies or deletes to just make the edits that much faster and easier, especially if you have many pads or weird grid patterns. 7) When finished be sure to save the additions. File, Save.

Good luck.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander

through the

inconvenience I