SPDIF to TTL

There are a number of circuits on the Net to do this. For example:

In Fig 5 should that IC be a 74HC04 as stated, or 74HCU04?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

That's a simple AC signal to DC logic conversion,

. | \ . AC ---||---+---| >O--+---- . | | / | . | | . '---/\/\---'

I'd say, yes, in the absence of any signal, an HCU04 gate would do a better job of settling at 1/2 Vcc, and perhaps do so with less class-A current, but in the absence of a signal, who cares what happens? In practice, S/PDIF lines have a continuous AC signal, so this simplified circuit's feedback RC node should find the average of the incoming data stream. Also, the continuous huge signal means the gates won't have a class-A rail-rail current problem.

s/pdif data doesn't have a 50% duty cycle, which gives me pause, but Andrew Kilpatrick, Randy McAnally and ESP = Rod Elliott swear by it, so it must be adequate. :-)

OTOH, you can get official s/pdif receiver connectors and ICs for a few bucks, and that seems a bit more professional.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Check that, s/pdif's biphase mark code is more than close enough to a 50% average for good RC coupling.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

Averages 50% in the longer term, that's why it's an AC coupled signal.

Yes, but there's more to life than doing everything efficiently ;)

Grant.

--
http://bugs.id.au/
Reply to

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

In the following schematics page 17 upper left corner, you see a working solution (I have the eval board, its working nicely in coax SPDIF mode).

MIKE

--
www.oho-elektronik.de
OHO-Elektronik

It's interesting that TI picks an 'U04. An 74LVC2GU04 to be exact. They do use this simple ac-coupled-circuit in a PurePath Digital reference design for their rather sophisticated custom silicon for high-performance audio.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

'U04' Variants have been used like this "forever". Some loonies have even been known to use them as amplifiers :-) ...Jim Thompson

Right, I'm well aware of that. Old stuff, dating back to the 60s when I started using cmos, or COS/MOS as RCA called it back then. But the question was about the viability of non-U types for this, do you have an opinion about that? Not what's naturally best, but whether it'll work OK.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It'll function. The problem I have with it is: an 'HC04 is effectively THREE 'HCU04's in series, with size scaling for the gate-source capacitance build-up. So a low-pass feed-back biases at considerable rail-to-rail current.

It'll function, but I don't recommend it.

For my custom stuff, where such an animal is absolutely needed, I add current sources in the respective (device) sources to limit bias build-up.

In a recent "monster" actuator driver I resorted to inverters where one side was a mirror until "swifty" speeds could be assured. ...Jim Thompson