Deadly Mexico Mutant?

With 2M cases and 200K deaths, is there a very deadly mutant, or substantially under-reporting of cases? Our southern border towns are heavily infected as well.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Has anybody sequenced any of the virus that has infected all these people? It is not that difficult nor all that expensive, but until you know what the genomes are - or the range of genomes - talking about "a mutant" is a bit silly.

A 10% mortality rate would be usually high, but not if the only cases being recognised were ones which needed hospital care.

Ed Lee doesn't seem to understand that you need to know what your numbers represent before you can draw conclusions from them.

It makes him an enthusiastic alarmist, but not a useful one,

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Living less than 100 miles from the southern border, we hear of no new "MX variant" -- other than the UK variant now appearing locally.

Reply to
Don Y

The UK variant (AKA in the UK as the Kent variant) now seems to be the dominant strain in Europe as well.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I usually don't border to response to Bill Slowman's nonsense, but this is an exception.

We suspect that LA is a good mirror of Mexico:

B.1.429 21% B.1.427 10% B.1.1.7 2% B.1.526 .1% B.1.525 .01% B.1.351 .01% P.1 .02% P.2 .1%

Reply to
Ed Lee

That was the information you should have posted in the first case. Nothing in Wikipedia report suggests that B. 1.429 or B. .1427 are particularly deadly, though they do seem to be 20% more transmissible than older strains.

Where the "very deadly mutant" story came from isn't obvious - with your posting history it does seem to be reasonable to blame half-witted alarmism.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I can't look into Bill Slow's brain, but these are well know data.

10% mortality (200K/2M) is very deadly.
Reply to
Ed Lee

Mexico tests and reported cases are under-reported by about 3:1. Per capita test penetration is 1/20th of other north american countries. This gives inflated fatality rates. (ie 9% vs more common 1.8-2.0%)

Any time you see test positivity rates exceeding 15%, it means their testing system is overloaded, and that they're likely determining cause of death post-mortem, without test confirmation.

RL

Reply to
legg

But not obviously connected to what you were posting about. You've quoted Californian data, apparently because you think that Mexico is exposed to the same strains.

It would be , if it were happening. You haven't posted a link to any kind of data that suggests that this is actually happening anywhere.

The last time that kind of mortality number came up was from Wuhan, and seems to have reflected the Chinese not testing anybody who wasn't sick enough to need to go into hospital. I did mention this in my response to your original post, but you snipped it.

That was probably mere stupidity. You do seem to be trying to out-stupid Flyguy, which is a heroic undertaking.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Where, exactly, is that happening?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Mexico, 300K deaths (just updated) and 2M cases.

15 % mortality as reported.
Reply to
Ed Lee

Daily cases in the US are down about 5:1 from peak. California is down

17:1. 91 million doses of vaccine have been given, and the rate is about 2 million per day.

The technical term for this is "impending doom."

Reply to
jlarkin