More on Apollo

Are you talking about the Republican party? Oh, no, that's not the whole party, it's just the President.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

My Casio Rock flip phone finally died, so Mo took me to the Verizon store and forced me to get a smart phone.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've got a flip phone that is being very under utilized. I'll sell it to you for $10 and you can have Verizon activate it for you.

You aren't going to like your smart phone. "Smart" is just a marketing term. They are pretty stupid really. They don't do what you want them to do, they do what they want to do. You know, like a Tesla.

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Thank you for that brilliant insight, Captain Obvious.

--

"When constituencies are small their elected representatives must concern themselves with the local interests of their constituents. When political representatives are distant and faceless, on the other hand, and represent vast numbers of unknown constituents, they represent not their constituents, but special interest groups whose lobbyists are numerous and ever present. Typically in Europe a technocrat is an ex-politician or a civil servant. He is unelected, virtually impossible to dislodge during his term of employment and has been granted extensive executive and even legislative power without popular mandate and without being directly answerable to the people whose interests he falsely purports to represent."

- Sir James Goldsmith (Member of the European Parliament) 1933 - 1997

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Which is not a valid reason to shut them up.

[...]

Anything marketed as "smart" is smart only for the manufacturer and/or their partners; certainly not the end user.

--

"When constituencies are small their elected representatives must concern themselves with the local interests of their constituents. When political representatives are distant and faceless, on the other hand, and represent vast numbers of unknown constituents, they represent not their constituents, but special interest groups whose lobbyists are numerous and ever present. Typically in Europe a technocrat is an ex-politician or a civil servant. He is unelected, virtually impossible to dislodge during his term of employment and has been granted extensive executive and even legislative power without popular mandate and without being directly answerable to the people whose interests he falsely purports to represent."

- Sir James Goldsmith (Member of the European Parliament) 1933 - 1997

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

But... but... what if one's opinion involves demonstration via a few crushed skulls... err... eggs?

Did you see 'Joker' yet?

Then there's "Hannibal"...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Cursitor Doom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You mean to tell us that you do not remember Smart VCRs? Man, you gotta catch up.

We need a smart assassin's ring that only pops out the deadly barbs if shaking hands with the correct target.

They even have smart bullets now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The smart phone is pretty smart as it has 1 million times the computing power as the Apollo computer

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It toggles that fast, yes. However the 'operator' it is in the possession of determines if any work gets done for all the work wasted flipping bits for nothing.

He's a real nowhere bit, sitting in his quantum pit, sipping on his charge... from a nearby cell for nobody...

Doesn't have a state you see, 'cause if you look it won't be free, isn't it a *bit* like you and me?

Nowhere bit, Don't show it... If you spit, you'll blow it, If we look, We can't know it...

Damnit, Janet! This quantum stuff is hard!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, now. Soon to be seized by the Chinese. They are already lending their land to the Chinese for farming.

It required the entire USSR to compete with the US, Russia is an order of magnitude smaller player, with its 144e6 citizens it simply doesn't play in this league. The EU has 700e6 and much more stable economy.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Indeed. But is it 'smart' to carry around on your person a tracking and bugging device that can be remotely activated to report everything you do, say and look at to the authorities? Or even if not them, a bunch of unscrupulous marketers who will stop at nothing to sell you their stuff? Who's *really* smart in this scenario? I'd venture to guess it isn't the phone user!

--

"When constituencies are small their elected representatives must concern themselves with the local interests of their constituents. When political representatives are distant and faceless, on the other hand, and represent vast numbers of unknown constituents, they represent not their constituents, but special interest groups whose lobbyists are numerous and ever present. Typically in Europe a technocrat is an ex-politician or a civil servant. He is unelected, virtually impossible to dislodge during his term of employment and has been granted extensive executive and even legislative power without popular mandate and without being directly answerable to the people whose interests he falsely purports to represent."

- Sir James Goldsmith (Member of the European Parliament) 1933 - 1997

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Obviously not. It advertises their defects to the rest of us.

If you posted less, we might take you more seriously.

But does make it unnecessary for them to repost the twaddle they've swallowed.

Quite the reverse. Of course devoting as much of our bandwidth as we do to your advertisements of personal incompetence is sub-optimal.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I had to give up on my LG VX8300 dumb phone and bought an old Goggle Pixel 1 smartphone. After disarming most of the "smart" features, I now have a tolerable equivalent to my previous dumb phone. I had to do this because the basic LTE phones offered by Verizon are mostly horrible. For example: Of the six phones offered, three are $80 to $100 and three are about $280. Note that the reviews on all six phones are in the 2 - 3 star range. The cheaper three phones seem to be partly funded by the pre-installed spyware. At $280, the other three phones are overpriced. At that price, one might as well buy a smartphone instead.

I don't know which smartphone you purchased, but good luck with it. It took me about a month to learn the basics, another month to become efficient, and another month or two to clean up the mess I made. It's the same rite of passage as a new computah... learn, destroy, cleanup, and repeat. The most difficult part for me was remembering and finding the names of the apps. I haven't mastered this yet and have degenerated to my early childhood, where I only remember the images (icons) and not the names.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes, a very high bar indeed! That was the computer that had an error while the capsule was landing and the error message handling caused a cascade of failures and messages leading to more failures that they shut it off and landed manually.

So is that your point of comparison you want to stick with?

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

The way to deal with that is to overload the overlords. Talk all the time, even when you are alone. Use the words President, Trump and shotgun a lot. Let them choke on their own surveillance.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Er, no.

The computer detected it didn't have sufficient time to complete all its tasks.

It then alerted the operators, and stopped processing the less important tasks. The more important tasks continued running normally.

The "manual landing" was because they missed the original landing area and headed for a boulder field; Armstrong avoided the boulders.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

No, it did not cause a cascade of failures or lead to more failures.

It displayed an alarm indicator. They were immediately told to ignore it. NOT "shut it off". And the landing was ALWAYS to be manual.

And to let you know beforehand, I just watched it all again last night.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Tom Gardner wrote in news:7mZMF.282443$ snipped-for-privacy@fx30.am:

Er, no.

The computer experienced a buffer overflow the moment the ground radar was switched on for the landing segment of the flight.

No, they were immediately told to ignore it, and it went away, then returned again about five seconds later, and they continued to ignore it as ordered.

And it did not prioritize. The code was not doing that then. It just continued from where the buffer left off. The only thing cast out were incomplete or garbage instructions from the buffer.

No, the original site WAS seen by Neil to be a 100 yard diameter crater, and then boulder field, and once they got there and he saw it he decided to slew further downrange until he saw a good area. His radio communications during those moments has him saying this very thing.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

om

hile

of

There was an error which didn't show up in testing because there was an inh erent synchronization that occurred in the simulator that didn't happen in the real world. When the error was processed for display to the operator ( repeatedly) that was the straw that broke the camel's back and the processo r no longer had time to handle all tasks.

But you are right that this did not cause an intervention and manual contro l. I mis-remembered that part.