Mislead on transformer specs ??

The DC resistances you measured, plus the information printed on the xfmr would certainly lead one to believe that pins 1-3 are the low impedance side, and pins

6-7 the high impedance side.

Yet, when you shorted 1-3 and measured 6-7, you got 22 ohms, versus 220 ohms the other direction. This is very strange.

Can you make measurements at another frequency, say 1 kHz? Can you determine the self resonant frequency of the unit at either winding?

Reply to
Phantom

These measurements were performed at 2 khz. Maybe this evening I'll do one more round of measurements. I'll find resonant frequency. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

........................................................................................................................ PLEASE note: I corrected the values above, 22ohm was actually 220 ohms, and I recalculated SQRT(Zis*Zio). Don't know how I got those wrong.

New set of measurements at 1 khz.

Measure the impedance at pins 1-3 with pins 6-7 shorted; call this Zis.

217 ohms

Measure the impedance at pins 1-3 with pins 6-7 (and all others) open; call this Zio.

75,000 Ohms ~ 36* phase shift

Calculate SQRT(Zis*Zio). This is the image impedance at pins 1-3. This will be the impedance to which the transformer will be best matched at pins

1-3. 4034 Ohms

Measure the impedance at pins 6-7 with pins 1-3 shorted; call this Zis.

229 ohms

Measure the impedance at pins 6-7 with pins 1-3 open; call this Zio.

77,000 ohms ~36* phase shift

Calculate SQRT(Zis*Zio). This is the image impedance at pins 6-7. This will be the impedance to which the transformer will be best matched at pins

6-7. 4119 ohms

SRF 568 khz pin1 to 3 SRF 730 khz pin 6 to 7 What do you make of that? Thanks, MikeK

Reply to
amdx

These latest results suggest that the two windings you measured are almost in a

1:1 ratio. This is also consistent with another measurement you described where you applied 1 volt to a winding and measured 1 volt out at the other winding.

I don't know how to reconcile these results with the diagram printed on the xfmr. It's very strange!!

Reply to
Phantom

e:

it.

is.

=A0 =A0220 ohms

n;

08,000 Ohms

=A0This

1-3.

=A0 =A04874 Ohms =A0 ((((corrected value)))))

.

=A0220 ohms =A0((((corrected value)))))

o.

00 ohms

=A0This

-7.

=A0 ((((corrected value)))))

at

fmr

,
0

=A0217 ohms

000 Ohms =A0 =A0~ 36
  • phase shift

=A0This

pins

ms

ohms

  • phase shift

=A0This

ins

t in a

bed where

ing.

he

there could be a lot of capacitance between the windings messing with your measurements at 2 kHz.

Ground the case.

apply a low z source at a low freq like 60 Hz to the low Z winding.

measure the voltage across the low z winding with a differential measurement like a meter, or a scope set up with 2 channels to measure differential.

measure the voltage across the secondary the same way.

compute the turns ratio and z ratio is the sqr root

Mark

Reply to
Mark

there could be a lot of capacitance between the windings messing with your measurements at 2 kHz.

Ground the case.

apply a low z source at a low freq like 60 Hz to the low Z winding.

measure the voltage across the low z winding with a differential measurement like a meter, or a scope set up with 2 channels to measure differential.

measure the voltage across the secondary the same way.

compute the turns ratio and z ratio is the sqr root

Mark

Hi Mark, I had not thought of grounding the shield. The transformer frequency spec was 1 khz to 8 khz +or-0.2db. I wish I would have tried this, but I have shipped the transformer back to the supplier. Thanks, MikeK

Reply to
amdx