Microwave brain scrambler?

(...)

That depends on how you define the term 'acute'.

The symptoms *will* occur instantly, for all intents.

The symptoms will not include physical pain of any sort, let alone 'sharp' or 'intense' pain. Just temporary blindness, deafness and lack of clinical consciousness.

So in that sense, I agree that the symptoms will not be properly characterized as 'acute' in all it's meanings.

I am sure it would work exactly as I described it however.

We shall never know. :)

(...)

I leapt to the conclusion that his tests were conducted under the influence of Earth's magnetic field, too. Perhaps they were not.

I really have no idea how the phenomenon works.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Dirk.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

You are right there, Bill. I did finally realize that the power density required was much higher than I originally stated. I did my mea culpa. :)

Still, a slightly bigger antenna, a power amplifier and Bob's your uncle. I feel that it would work as described based on Dr. Adey's findings.

Those tests, conducted on people would be immoral in my opinion, given the non-zero possibility of eventual health consequences. The evidence shown by Dr. Adey's tests prove that normal neural activity is replaced by noisy, abnormal neural activity under the influence of an RF field of specific power, amplitude modulated by a waveform of specific frequency.

We can reasonably agree to disagree on anything, including this. :)

(...)

You know what they say about opinions. I have one too. :)

Thanks for your attention.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It must be very efficiently worded. I saw only titles and page numbers in that document.

Thanks for your attention to this, Dirk.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

No. Hours to days.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Then you will have to buy the book when its available.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Yes, they all died decades ago for all intents and purposes.

Without access to the control panel in the manager's office, how is the employee to do that? Zapping someone with this weapon will not be illegal or immoral based on our current beliefs. Breaking and entering is both, if the employee is not acting on behalf of a well placed corporate sponsor. In that case he has carte blanche to do whatever he can get away with.

Good. We agree that innocent customers will have no one to represent their interests.

High profile cases are not brought by powerless individuals unless they can provide proof to a much more powerful entity that *it's* nose is being pushed into the dirt.

Until an FBI agent gets zapped, no one will care. After an FBI agent gets zapped, there will be hell to pay. :)

Joe Shmoe, hapless sandwich shop customer does not have quite the legal weight behind him that the Clinton DoJ had. Can we agree on that?

The science conducted by Dr. Adey outlined in the article I have been citing for the last few days.

I invite you to look at Dr. Adey's findings and try with the best of your ability to believe that the effects he demonstrated would leave brain cells completely unaffected.

Of course. I would too. I am governed by a finely tuned sense of 'right and wrong'. Also the law, because I am a powerless Joe Shmoe. :)

Our zappers will be folks that have no moral compass and no compunction against breaking laws at will. For them, there is no moral violation and no law to be broken.

We will never know, one way or the other.

Sure it would. I Googled ("plant maintenance" company) just now.

874,000 hits. Any one of them would be more than happy to read the simple installation instructions and make the transmitter fully operational, in compliance with all codes.

You do understand that there is no law against installation or operation of the transmitter, yes? There will be nothing to investigate.

I still have my opinion, too. :)

We're not going to convince each other but I do appreciate your perspective on this topic.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I should add that the symptoms are quite vague. A kind of fuzziness of thought.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

You'd beter find something more persuasive.

I think you are extrapolating from some very weak evidence.

And it isn't worth much, based on the evidence you have seen fit to adduce.

Calcium ion cyclotron resonance is a meaningful concept in the gas phase; thinking that it occurs in an aqueous solution indicates a certain lack of physical insight on your part.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

of

In fact he'd fry his scalp. the brain might get warmed up by thermal heat conduction through skull, but probably not enough to make any noticable difference, unless his "bigger amlifiers" could push out kilowatts.

- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

(...)

I may not have mentioned this but the principal symptom will not include collapsing unless the target was off balance when zapped or knocked over while still unconscious.

The entire episode will be over in 1-2 minutes. The customer will freeze in place and experience blindness, deafness and will not be responsive.

Thought experiment:

The last time you heard an unfamiliar sound (particularly a LOUD unfamiliar sound), you probably stopped what you were doing and remained very still, listening for further clues. At the moment you were distracted, you were all ears and eyes. You stopped hearing your tinnitus or feeling the ache that has been plaguing your lower back for the last couple days. Receipt of all non-life-threatening input got turned almost all the way down.

This response gave our predecessors an evolutionary advantage because it focused their attention on avoiding whatever threat could be represented by the unfamiliar. It is an evolved response and virtually 'hardwired' into us.

Replace that auditory stimulus with an *undifferentiated* stimulus 100,000 times "louder". By 'undifferentiated', I mean a set of stimuli that is neither sound, nor light nor taste nor touch nor smell nor fear nor hate nor love. Your brain will be suddenly overwhelmed. All your ability will be focused so intently on trying to understand this fundamentally new, incredibly pronounced *something* that you will not be able to see or hear or feel or taste or touch or smell *anything* until after the stimulus has been off for many seconds and the inputs to your brain once again start to make sense. This is the most confused you will ever be, by far, including the moment of your birth.

This will be the most pronounced symptom.

Most targets will not be theft victims. All targets will find the experience exceedingly odd but will 'make up a story' on the spot to explain the symptom.

Almost none will develop a reasonably accurate idea of what really happened.

We are selfish by nature. The guy next to us has been quite still for the last 40 seconds, staring at the blank wall in front of him in a detached way. Is he daydreaming? Just thinking? Has he been zapped?

Who knows and let's face it, who cares?

Another thought experiment. Set up a video camera focused on you so that it captures all your movements, all the sounds you make, all your facial expressions and movements for an hour or longer.

At some point, you will very likely see your video image make a face or poke at his nose or gesture in a way that will seem utterly bizarre. What caused you to do that? Is this really 'normal behavior'?

How can we tell if a particular behavior is normal for a total stranger when we personally exhibit behaviors that we cannot explain?

Yup. Mobile equipment is very fault tolerant and will continue normal operation a very long time before our target regains full use of his body.

Lots of unexpected, odd things are totally legal. Including the transmitter and the way it is used. It is a 25 pound package of "unremarkable" and a few cubic feet of "none of your business".

Until some LEO is targeted by the transmitter (or his kid or his significant other) there will be no reason for him to step out of his tracks to investigate. He has many better things to do.

Afterwards however, he will be asking some very important questions, phrased in an attention-getting way.

Cataracts are evidence. Your interactions prior to and during the attack are evidence.

I may not have mentioned this but normal use of the transmitter will not create any evidence. None, outside the sheepish admissions of someone who really thinks he experienced his first stroke. Or some such.

It will be defined as a 'harmless weapon'. By definition no harm will be possible, so what standing do the victims have?

Wait, I know this one.

Each pulse will be, say 50 to 100 milliseconds wide. Cell phones will recover very quickly, easily and transparently.

That would require a fat duty cycle. This will be a pulse device with a very narrow duty cycle. (~0.5% or so).

We will never know. That is the good news and the bad news.

If I can conceive of this, that means other, more capable folks have conceived of it, as well. I don't know about you but I'd very much rather *not* get zapped by one of these things, should they ever be built.

Thanks for your perspective.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Since when has the manager's office been accessible only to the manager?

Under your daft=A0interpretation of current beliefs. Disabling someone by whatever means is assault, and both illegal and immoral.

"Breaking an entering" a managers office? No manager that I've ever worked for kept his office locked.

Hardly.

ier

ime

rowing

?

You do go in for vapid generalisations.

What's so special about FBI agents. You've been watching too much TV.

And your idiot restaurant manager isn't Microsoft.

About an unexplained mechanism that produced audible clicks, which you chose to interpret as an effect of transcranial electrical stimulation, not that Dr. Adey's system would have produced any such currents in the brain at any effective frequency.

Like everybody else who seems to have looked at that lame paper, I'm prefectly happy that the effect he demonstrated had nothing to do with the direct stimulation of brain cells by the exciting field. I suspect that his subjects heard perfectly real audio clicks produced by some defect in his experimental set-up.

ency that

Pity that you haven't quite such a well-developed system for separating sesne from nonsense.

True, but only because your zapper won't do what you think it will.

ment

re?

You may never know.

on

n.

Because it won't work.

Pity about that.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Quoting Dr. Adey:

"In animals and man EEG records tracings from deep brain structures normally exhibit spontaneous rhythm patterns. These appear as bursts of waves in different brain structures that last for two to three seconds. Animals can be trained to make these bursts by reward or punishment. For example, if one presents a flash of light, the animal must make that response within two seconds or be "punished." In this punishment the eyes are involuntarily deviated to the opposite side by stimulation of the brain itself. This is unpleasant but not painful."

Doesn't sound like hours or days to me, Dirk.

Thanks for your thoughts

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Heh!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

See one of my previous responses for an indication of what symptoms are very likely to occur. They are very specific.

Thanks for your attention to this topic.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You are right Bill, but the duty cycle will be too narrow to cause much in the way of scalp damage either.

Good catch.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I prefer my brains over easy, not scrambled.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

(...)

Would you, as manager arrange things in such a way as to give yourself a non-zero chance of being zapped? (Me neither.)

Exposing someone to modulated microwaves isn't illegal.

(Gonna arrest the guy on the cell phone at the next table?)

It is not considered immoral by the folks who will be doing the zapping. It will not be provable by folks who could not care less what happens to the hapless customer because there will be no evidence it ever happened. Did I mention that yet, the part about there will be 'no evidence'?

In the age of the zapper, that control panel will be secure.

(...)

Who is going to face down a 50 billion dollar corporation and force them to give up the most entertaining toy they have ever had? Joe Shmoe, who will never know the transmitter exists? I think not. Who then?

(...)

Ah but they are accurate. As soon as you realize you've been zapped, you will feel anything *but* vapid. :)

Any powerful person will do. If he has arrest authority, so much the better.

(...)

His boss works for the guy who works for the CEO of the $50 B multinational corporation who regularly and normally gets away with law violations that would put you or I away for the rest our lives. He has way more power than Joe Shmoe and exercises it with great discretion.

(...)

Clicks have nothing to do with it.

I'm not going to re re re rephrase Dr. Adey's key findings with regard to the effect of low frequency modulated non- ionizing radiation on brain cells. Suffice it to say that it is solid, reproducible science and is key in understanding how the transmitter would disable a person without leaving a single clue.

(...)

Where do you get this 'click' phenomenon from?

That is not the symptom Dr. Adey linked to non-ionizing radiation stimulation and has nothing to do with the way the transmitter is likely to work.

It'll swamp brain cells with 'nonsense' data causing the brain to go 'offline' until after it's inputs start making sense once more.

Sorry, but that *is* the "Readers's Digest" version.

(...)

Unfortunately we will never know, either way.

You know what they say about opinions. :)

(...)

Also true. I am highly unlikely to find out, either way. It's a pity really. Fascinating subject. :)

(...)

Thank you for your guess on this.

(...)

Thanks for your input on this important topic, Bill.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Bill, I honestly believe that I could present you with a zapped shoe salesman from Hoboken and you would remain unconvinced of the possibility. That is good because science is largely based on the attempt to invalidate a guess.

If I had the funding and some amazingly generous terminally ill volunteers, I would pursue the effect and publish a report that you would find compelling.

I think it's deliciously ironic that we both are convinced there will never be any publicly available evidence that the transmitter would work the way Dr. Adey implies.

That is OK. This is a lot of information to wrap one's mind around. I didn't get it at first either.

No cyclotron necessary. Aim, dial in the power and press the button. If the symptom does not appear after 10 seconds, tweak the power up 10% and press the button again. If you get no dice after 10 more seconds, give her the last 5% and press the button once more. Somewhere in there, you will have a Hoboken-sicle.

Simple really.

Thanks for your consideration of this important topic, Bill

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Hear Hear!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

(...)

Then you will recall the following finding.

By irradiating a lab animal with a non-ionizing carrier that has a low frequency AM subcarrier, Dr. Adey has taken over control the eye muscles of that lab animal, aiming them anywhere he pleases, any time he wants.

Here is Dr. Adey's passage that I wildly extrapolated to reach my paraphrase: "...For example, if one presents a flash of light, the animal must make that [EEG] response within two seconds or be "punished." In this punishment the eyes are involuntarily deviated to the opposite side by stimulation of the brain itself. This is unpleasant but not painful."

Dirk, is it such a great engineering stretch from that level of external brain control to the sort of overwhelming neural storm I have been discussing? Of course it isn't.

The overwhelming neural storm is actually easier to create than the nuanced control of eye movement because one need not precisely mimic EEG waveforms in order to confuse the brain. Any random waveform as modulation is likely to create utter confusion so intense as to cause paralysis.

Thank you for your attention to this important phenomenon.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston