Shielding from microwaves

Hi, I am having a little microwave experiment, and I want to shield some cracks from leaking microwaves. A pal said to me that a paper-type called "mica" is used for such reasons in microwave ovens. Actually what he told me is that it allows microwaves to pass through, but it blurs them so as they are not focused as before.

Is it true, or does anyone know any better way to make leaking microwaves less harmful (apart from Faraday cage, this is too hard for me to make, I suppose).

Reply to
eric

Hi, I am having a little microwave experiment, and I want to shield some cracks from leaking microwaves. A pal said to me that a paper-type called "mica" is used for such reasons in microwave ovens. Actually what he told me is that it allows microwaves to pass through, but it blurs them so as they are not focused as before.

Is it true, or does anyone know any better way to make leaking microwaves less harmful (apart from Faraday cage, this is too hard for me to make, I suppose).

Reply to
eric

Get yourself a new "pal" for microwave advice. Copper tape works well when you have clean metal on both sides of the crack. It would be helpful to disclose something, anything about the experiment and the exact problem you're having. mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:

It is a classic experiment that proves that there is no ether. For various reasons we do not want to have microwaves leaking behind the surface they hit. I think the ideal for it would be some kind of material that "absorbs" the microwaves, as lead does for radiation. If you know such materials or have better ideas, it would be great to let me know.

Reply to
eric

On the web I came across references to Velostat. Does anyone know if it absorbs microwaves and where may one get it from?

Reply to
eric

That's an entirely different question. What frequency are your microwaves? Water is a pretty good absorber at some frequencies. Oxygen works damn well at other frequencies. You can buy microwave absorber material, but I can't give you details.

Do you really have to absorb? Can you use metal to reflect the microwaves out of the experimental field?

Ether DOES exist...I use it to start my lawnmower. mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here:
http://mike.liveline.de/sale.html
Reply to
mike

I would be interested in such material. Can you provide some examples? The microwave frequency is close to the cooking microwave frequency.

No, basically I have to absorb.

? :-)

Reply to
eric

Google "rf absorber" and bring your checkbook.

They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Reply to
George Jetson

You Could use feritte tiles with carbon conical absorbers. But they are not that cheap, or peal off the coating from a stealth bomber.... otherwise shielding should be done, use as already suggested copper tape to cover up the leaks. If you have a gap less then 1/10 wavelenght there should not be a huge problem (except is you use some MWatt tranmitter.)

--
# A brainstorm to one person could be a slight draft to the other one.
# Cees Keyer, Amsterdam school of technology  (change -at- in @ in E)

Go walking down any alley. Within a block you'll find a discarded microwave oven. If it's an older oven it will have some sort of metallic gasket around the door frame. Take that.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Graphite should absorb microwaves. It works best if you form it into a bunch of pyramids, but I think just flat sheets of it will work, too. Any resistive sheet material will absorb microwave energy.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson