Metric, good or bad?

I remember a serious problem when slivers got between traces and shorted them out. Very hard to spot and required reworking every board. Painful.

However, now with computers, you can make even bigger mistakes much faster!

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Yes, sometimes those were from poorly heat-treated tin-coat overhand breaking after etching, it could still happen now.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Way back then it was usually from bad art and bad QA (not) looking at the art before sending it to production.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not because they want to be different, because they don't want to break surveying.

"Any data expressed in feet derived from and published as a result of geodetic surveys within the United States will continue to bear the following relationship as defined in 1893 : 1 foot = 1200/3937 meter"

Notice the date they defined this formula!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I still use Gaussian units for electromagnetics. (Gaussian is a rationalized version of the CGS ESU system.) My fave EM textbook is Jackson's second edition--for the third he switched to SI, the dog. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ouch!

With 4 * pi hidden into the units at random ...

--

-TV
Reply to

When you're doing theory, it matters a lot more that the equations are simpler. You can convert to SI trivially at the end of the calculation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm reading.. well slowly chewing.. 'atomic physics,...' by D. Budker

He uses cgs because he finds it easier. Well, he also sets h-bar = 1 sometimes...

George H.

*I like this book, but it's graduate level physics.. and I find myself going back to lower level sources to review things.... I don't remember the eigen values of the (L dot S) operator, with hydrogenic wavefunctions, for instance. GH
Reply to
George Herold

Just apply a lot of current!

We make very few mistakes on PC boards. We don't prototype. Rev A is built by production and we expect to sell it.

We don't get PCB shorts either; all board are bare-board tested. One short or open instantly disqualifies a PCB vendor.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We use ENIG, gold over nickel, and we don't see shorts any more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

them

er!

When your average new-product development time is two weeks - as John Larki n has told us is his norm - there's not a lot of difference between success ive printed circuit layouts. More adventurous development does offer more o pportunities for things to go wrong, but careful design reviews at every st age can catch quite a lot of bugs.

If they claim to do bare-board testing before they ship it certainly ought to.

It's nice when you have enough suppliers to let you be that rigorous.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to