Parts values on schematic question

I want to change from the old system like 1.2k to the new system like

1k2. But I would like to have a list to show me how to do that.

For example, I have 10 ohms. Is it just 10 or 10r0? How about 510 ohms? I assume a 1k is 1k0, yes?

1 meg is 1m0?

TIA for any help.

Reply to
John S

I would either include the tolerance or imply it with the digits. A 5% resistor would be 10R. A 1% would be 10R0. A 1k 1% would be 1k00 or 1k0%1.

I don't think I use anything with less precision than 1% these days unless it is an unusual part for power or something. 1% are pretty cheap and easy to find.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Thanks, Rick. Forgot to ask about capacitors as well. Got anything on that?

Reply to
John S

I don't know that it's such a new system--AFAIK the original motivation was the tendency of decimal points to disappear after blue printing or repeated photocopying. Neither comes up much any more.

I use the 1k2 notation on hand-drawn schematics, and the usual thing is to be governed by significant figures. For instance, a 499 ohm 1% resistor is 499R, but a 510 ohm 5% resistor is 0k51. It doesn't come up much for us since I very rarely use resistors worse than 1%.

1.00 meg is 1M00, 1.0 meg is 1M0, et cetera.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Thanks, Phil. I have a lot to learn.

Reply to
John S

Well, you could just use the datasheet value like normal people. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's stupid and amateur. Don't do it.

 Click to see the full signature

C'mon, John, say how you really feel. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

The stupidity and the amateurism here is all John Larkin's. From a European point of view, 1K2 has been standard for decades now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:29:05 PM UTC+11, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

Sadly, it is also the way he thinks. If he could think about what he felt, his opinions might change as evidence built up against them, but if "critic al thinking" was ever taught at Tulane, it would have been in one of the cl asses he skipped. Curiously, he didn't skip the courses on tumbling, which may explain his enthusiasm for intellectual pratfalls.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Okay.

Reply to
John S

You, of all people, should show a little respect for scientific notation and SI units.

We have a lot of software that wouldn't know how to deal with 2m7. Or

2M7.

And we use high quality, durable American decimal points.

 Click to see the full signature

It's neither stupid nor amateur. Hey, I do lots of power stuff. So I'm not ready to abandon the E24 5% system, in exchange for E48, E96 or E192, 1% systems.

BTW, when I need to select 1% part values, I use the handy resistor_values page on Syd Levine's logwell site,

Yes, he died 9 years ago, but with his supporting friends, many of us keep him going by often using his web-tools.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Now, now, Bill. We live with the Imperial system and the metric system. Stupidity has little to do with it.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Stupidity has a lot to do with the continued existence of Imperial. Only in "the land of the free" would transition to a new standard have been optional, rather than mandated along a transition timeline. So you're all free to screw things up still :).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I've have this Vishay table hanging in my cube... Comes in hany, cause some nut keeps using non standard values.

Martin Riddle

It's that 'free' thing you're torqued about, just like all those other People Who Know Best that have been plaguing the planet since the time of Nero Caesar if not much earlier. Sooorryy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 10:30:38 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

ople Who Know Best that have been plaguing the planet since the time of Ner o Caesar if not much earlier. Sooorryy.

Actually, we don't have an Imperial standard. We just use it out of inerti a. Metric is the US standard I'm pretty sure. It is the US that suffers f rom having two systems in common use. We have two sets of wrenches to work on cars because we don't build cars as well as the rest of the world and i mport either cars or all the parts for the foreign cars built here. We imp ort nearly all electronic components so that while some dimensions are base d in imperial units of inches, they are always expressed in metric.

I remember working with the government some time back and to buy anything w e had to fill out a form explaining why we weren't buying it in metric. I filled one out saying the thing I was buying *was* metric and the guy who c ollected the forms didn't believe me! lol

Yes, we need to build a whole lot of walls to keep out not just people, but all the ideas.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

How is that related to the issue? 4.99K is 4K99. I think.

We don't use 5% resistors. In these days of laser trimming, 1%s are the same price.

I have a tiny paper chart on the wall.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

The fabulous Susumu thinfilm resistors come in some very odd values.