Making a Wireless LCD Projector

I have a very nice Epson LCD projector that can accept a hardwired USB or VGA input and projects a very nice bright picture on the screen.

The problem is that half a dozen of us will be sitting around the room and each person has their own personal presentation on their personal laptop, which means that (a) they get to put their presentation on a thumb drive and use the common office computer or (b) we get to string a cable from the projector to their computer, then move it to another person's computer, and so on.

I've got a setup on a Canon inkjet that uses a Linksys Wireless-G router connected to a slave laptop computer Cat-5 input and the print output of the computer to drive the inkjet. Works just fine, but then again, when two people try to send documentation at once, the print server in the lappy just puts them in queue.

Anybody got a suggestion on how to drive my projector with some sort of a similar setup? I've googled around but so far all I've found are expensive projectors that have built in wireless. I sort of think that if they can build it inside, I ought to be able to build it in hardware outside.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering - JIm

and

nd

the

ust

sive

an

Just dump the screen images in a wreless file server and show the latest image received. You can modify the SMB server to redirect output to the projector.

Reply to
linnix

Use a wireless VGA extender.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

and

nd

the

ust

sive

an

We installed the InFocus LightShow II on our projector at church. It's wireless. (And way up in the ceiling so you couldn't get to it with your thumb drive -- even if you tried!)

See if this will work for you:

It ran about $150, if I recall correctly.

It acts as it's own wireless server, so your meeting participants don't need anything. Just log in (URL =3D 10.0.1.0 or something like that -- it's on-screen when projected). That installs a little vitrual video port (applet) on your laptop that lets you talk to the projector wirelessly. It supports password protection, if needed.

Also, if you have a VGA feed, that can take priority over anything coming in wirelessly.

Nice gear - easy installation. We've used it since Jan-09, and I have no problems recommending it to friends and colleagues. I have no financial interest in InFocus.

-mpm

Reply to
Mike

Use WebEx.

Then, pass the 'ball' around to the different meeting participants, who can share their presentation applications. You need a wireless LAN in the building, but you can build that with a $20 router.

It also works great for teleconferences.

You can do the same thing for free with VNC, but it isn't nearly as simple to set up and use. See

for more information.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

Setting up a secure wireless lan is not a matter of minutes! Besides, putting several foreign laptops into one network is a very bad idea (worms, virusses, etc).