Re: CLunker Math

Clunker Math (from a friend in Dallas)... > > A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year > of gasoline. > > A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year. > So, the average best-case clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline > consumption by 800 - 480 = 320 gallons per year. > > It is claimed that 700,000 vehicles were traded in, so that's 0.7M * > 320 = 224 million gallons / year. > > That requires a little over 5 million barrels of oil to produce. > > In one year we thus save 5 million barrels of oil, which is about ¼ of > one day's US consumption > > (see >
> > 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at > $75/barrel. > > So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion plus administration > costs, to save $350 million. > > This is not 350 million a year because a clunker life expectancy would > not be very long anyway. > > Most barely made it to the dealer! > > Further, what many now save on gas costs will probably only mean that > they will drive farther. > > I guess success is all about political performance and mileage, not > saving gas or handling recession. > > ...Jim Thompson

Silly me, I thought it was a payoff to the UAW. Mike

Reply to
amdx

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Not to mention the auto manufacturers. In fact I believe it was mostly about getting the economy turning over again after the bankers had flooded it with duff loans; the fact that it made a couple of interested parties pretty happy was mere collatoral advantage.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson doesn't know about this sort of stuff, and believes what the polticians tell him. It helps if they are to the right of Genghis Khan, but he does seem to believe Democratic politician's claims about their own motives.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I predicted that we would soon hear that auto sales have slumped and it was only about three weeks after the Cash for Clunkers givaway that I heard two news reports about more salesmen on the floor than customers, and very slow sales. It only makes sense, the giveaway pushed 600,000 car sales into a short time and used up what little demand there was. I also don't believe the program increased sales by much, I think most of these people were already in the market for a car and just bought now instead of in the next 6 months. Mike

Reply to
amdx

.

of

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Mike

most of these people were already in the market for a car ..... Very common viewpoint, it makes some sense IMHO. But..... I am not sure what would happen with automakers and MILLIONS depending on them (suppliers, dealers, business owners in the automakers communities, etc. ,etc... fill the blanks) without this $$$ infusion... Running around with posters that "Cash-For-Clunkers is another leftist weenies failure" is premature (and immature). Only time (years and years) will show if it worked.

Reply to
Maria Raykin

Except the clunkers did get recycled the way other old cars do.

Don Klipstein

No, they were crushed, instead of being parted out to help people keep their older cars running. And as well, that crap they put in the engines contaminated the metal turning it into low grade scrap at that.

Reply to
PeterD