Convert projector lamp to LED?

Just saw a new Cree XLamp XM LED -- about 260 lumens for about 8 bucks. I was wondering if anyone out there has played around with converting a home theatre projector to LED with much luck.

Of course, a new outboard power supply would be mandatory -- the Optoma I have has a nice plug in module for the lamp which would be inviting to try and do something with.

Has anyone toyed with this?

I'm talking a larger 5 - 6 feet wide image, not one of those small presentation projectors.

I know you need about 1000 lumens 8000 - 8500K?

Reply to
mkr5000

wondering if anyone out there has played around with converting a home theatre projector to LED with much luck.

has a nice plug in module for the lamp which would be inviting to try and do something with.

presentation projectors.

A projector lamp must be a point source as near as possible. A bunch of leds will produce a very strange picture.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I was wondering if anyone out there has played around with converting a ho= me theatre projector to LED with much luck.

I have has a nice plug in module for the lamp which would be inviting to t= ry and do something with.

entation projectors.

I'm not overly familiar with modern home projectors, but at least in some projection kit I've seen both types of optics used, condensor and diffuser. Multiple LEDs should work in diffuser optics, albeit with sizeable issues. Do you go for:

  1. White LEDs with terrible colour rendition
  2. R,G and B LEDs with terrible colour mixing
  3. RGB LEDs with terrible price tag

NT

Reply to
NT

That's what I thought -- "maybe" if the projector image was small enough, =just one of these new lamps might do something? the Cree has 280 lumens.

Next time I see a junk projector on Ebay I may get one to play with.

What needs more light? DLP or LCD?

The DLP image is certainly a better choice imho.

Reply to
mkr5000