Mains voltage zero crossing detector with optical isolated output

_does_

who

then I

I'd love to listen in when you present this to your lawyer.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

How come you, at first, missed that John Fields was the author?

How come you can never answer a direct question?

How come you're such a loser? ...Jim Thompson

Fields was playing you like a good trout fisherman would. I guess you missed that statement also. You really should learn to read before ranting. ...Jim Thompson

The email assures me that it's absolutely free.

My theory is that it's malware, and they really expect that people, after getting 100 or so "final" notices, will click on the "don't bother me any more" link.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[snip]

I've received those in the (snail) mail, fancy certificate with a gold (colored) seal, and requesting $100 to be listed in their big book ;-)

Seems the grandkids got such a letter when each graduated from High School... momentary flushes of pride, then the let-down of realizing it was a scam :-( ...Jim Thompson

Why add two parts when an HC14 would work better? C4 and R8 load the signal path, too.

The idea of adding positive feedback around gates or comparators often doesn't work very well, and people tend to do it without thinking out the details. There's enough prop delay (especially here, *two* levels of delay) that a fast glitch can get into the system before the feedback has time to make it around the loop. Maybe the slow optos will filter that out, but why not an HC14?

1 ma is not significant in this context. HC gates are always - to my knowledge - hardened against ESD diode current problems. Many linear ICs (like LM324/339, LM34/35, analog mux's including HC4051 types, many many others) get trashed by very small currents into the rails.

So, why did you add the two clamp diodes? Because it needs them (which it doesn't) or for defensive emotional reasons?

Why are they there?

Oh, this also doesn't need R6, R2, or R3. Why are they there?

Why not use an HC14 and avoid shoot-thru and oscillation concerns?

How much power does this thing use?

It still compares a couple of volts off ground. Really, consider replacing R6 with a cap. That's actually interesting.

Think about dumping the clamp diodes and adding the cap in place of R6. We may make a decent circuit out of this eventually.

I wonder if we could eliminate the power supply and have the gate power itself from the signal and its own ESD diodes. Yes, there are possibilities there.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The subject of a 60s top hit by Sam The Sham and The Pharaohs, idiot.

It was, in fact, the title track on one of their albums.

But I wouldn't expect you to have even the smallest inkling of culture in you, despite your rants about which city has what better book store or whatever you want to tell us.

You read books because those people actually did have real lives.

Reply to
WoolyBully

It's hard to read, I didn't read it all, and the box at the bottom names someone else.

So why did he appreciate synchronous design in 1979 and fight against it now?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

By posting a bad design and fighting against admitting the runt hazard? He did all that on purpose? Wow.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[snip]

OK! Students are advised to take note. What is WRONG with Larkin's statement? Think about it, Larkin didn't.

Also, students take note... Mr. WRONG is WRONG again.

And it's crap. Again, students, analyze.

And lose the sharp drive pulse? ...Jim Thompson

He _does_

AlwaysWrong, who

then I

here

I'm not particularly interested. And an army of lawyers would just give you a large and expensive audience when you got laughed out of court.

As far as I know, JL didn't threaten anybody--that's a specialty of yours and Mr Many Nyms'. And I'm not impressed by anbody's misbehaviour. I said in one of my posts above that I didn't think any of those involved in this unpleasantness would tolerate their own behaviour from a subordinate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You don't read books? Yeah, you're right, watching TV is probably easier.

Maybe a WoolyBully is a really mean caterpillar.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

He _does_

AlwaysWrong, who

women, then I

potentially

here

the

I wish I had a few proper subordinates. The whole concept of "boss" has declined terribly of late.

I, The Boss, now have to go to work and let the carpet cleaners in, and move furniture around for them, and hang around for four hours.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Geez, Jim, zero content. Why won't you actually say anything? What's this continuous "students, analyze!" excuse?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I try to get people to think for themselves rather than be sucked in by the likes of you ;-)

You have, after all, a bunch of sycophants than can only run their mouths, rather than the math. ...Jim Thompson

To play the game as if I were you.
Reply to
John Fields

A really bad novelty rock & roll song and another example of his never ending dimness by using it for one of his nyms.

Michael A. Terrell

--
Yeah, right...

From their FAQ at:

http://www.worldwidewhoswho.com/faq_candidate.aspx

"How much will it cost to join the Worldwide Who's Who organization?
All candidates who qualify for inclusion are entitled to a
complimentary listing in our online registry. A complimentary listing
is not a membership program. Upon completing the interview process and
being approved for membership, an account director will review our
membership programs with you. Membership programs vary in cost, and
enable members to benefit from an exclusive array of branding and
networking services."

Sounds kinda like you get a free listing in a telephone directory if
you sign up for an account.
Reply to
John Fields

You're someone who shouldn't be talking about someone being clueless.

Michael A. Terrell

As in...

ZC accuracy ~26us, or 0.56° ...Jim Thompson