LVPECL to PECL to LVPECL

The supply variety on ECL parts in general has ever been diminishing over the years, the variety is not even continuous. I should now connect an FPGA to a bunch of ECLs. The LVDS to LVPECL translation can be done with a 65LVDS100. Further I can only find a few ECL parts and finally I should connect to LVPECL again. I consider now lowering the Vcc for the PECL to 3.3V and set the associated GND to -1.9V for a blunt signal connection. The signals of (LV)ECL in general are referenced to the respective Vcc, so this should be doable.

FPGA-LVDS -> 65LVDS100(3.3V,0V) -> PECL (+3.3V,-1.9V) -> LVPECL(3.3V,0V)

Differential signal may have less problems than single ended in this configuration, I guess. A one point I'll have to go single ended though.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

MAX9375 is another option for LVDS to LVPECL

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Differential connections between an FPGA and PECL can usually be done directly. Some FPGAs will make legit LVPECL, allowing all chips to run off 3.3 and ground (well, if the ECL is willing, like the EL and EP parts.) If the FPGA makes LVDS output levels, the common-mode will be a little low for safety, so the ecl Vee should be -1 or.

FPGA LVDS (3.3/gnd) to pecl 3.3/-1.9) should work fine.

Every LVDS receiver that I've tested, discrete and inside Xilinx, behaved like a pretty good rail-to-rail comparator. So LVDS receivers are usually happy looking at differential PECL, or single-ended PECL if you hook the other input to Vbb.

Single-ended 3.3 volt CMOS will drive PECL. A few older ECL parts don't like being pulled all the way up to Vcc, but most new stuff is OK.

ONsemi, Arizona Microtech, and Micrel still make ECL.

John

Except that they are one of the infinite number of Maxim parts that are not made..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Not made in quantity, discontinued or not easy to buy through distribution? I got samples from Maxim quite recently.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

They're Maxim. That's enough.

Tell us how it works out for you when they can't (or won't) deliver real product. I think we have two Max parts designed in our products. They'll be gone the next time I touch the boards. I've had to train the disties not to use the 'M' word. ;-)

Reply to
krw

*Samples*, for a small dinky percentage of advertised part types. Just wait if you need any reasonable quantity. A number of disties dumped Maxim because they could not stock their shelves..
Reply to
Robert Baer