LT1010 rail splitter not splitting

Hello, I'm trying to use the LT1010 to make a +/- 2.5V rail out of a 5V sup ply. There's a simple circuit for this in the datasheet, but I wired it up, two 100K resistors in series and the center going into the LT1010...

In this configuration the input is 4.3V (where I expected 2.5V)???

I spiced it and got a 3.28V at my input?

Thanks!

I'm using a small RECOM for my 5V supply

LTSPICE:

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 64 16 -80 16 WIRE 144 16 64 16 WIRE 64 64 64 16 WIRE -80 128 -80 16 WIRE 144 160 144 16 WIRE 64 192 64 144 WIRE 128 192 64 192 WIRE 288 192 192 192 WIRE 384 192 288 192 WIRE 288 224 288 192 WIRE 64 240 64 192 WIRE 384 240 384 192 WIRE -80 336 -80 208 WIRE 64 336 64 320 WIRE 64 336 -80 336 WIRE 160 336 160 224 WIRE 160 336 64 336 WIRE 288 336 288 304 WIRE 288 336 160 336 WIRE 384 336 384 304 WIRE 384 336 288 336 WIRE 64 352 64 336 FLAG 64 352 0 SYMBOL Opamps\\LT1010 160 128 R0 SYMATTR InstName U1 SYMBOL res 48 224 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 100k SYMBOL res 48 48 R0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 100k SYMBOL voltage -80 112 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 5V SYMBOL res 272 208 R0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL cap 368 240 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1

TEXT -114 376 Left 2 !.tran 1

Reply to
Fibo

The input bias current is specified as max 250 uA at no load, 500 uA at

150 mA load, and 800 uA over temperature.

Dropping the resistors to 1k instead of 100k will get you closer.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thank you sir. So this part is no good for a rail splitter? There's a circuit in the datasheet that shows it beingused as a rail splitter, but it doesn't work.

Is this right: 100k is to high a value because it doesn't allow enough input bias current to flow, so I reduce it in order for the thing to work properly (250uA for no load).

So even 10k is too big because 250uA through the 10k will throw me off by 250uA*10k = 2.5V?!

Wrong part for the job. This is because the part has a bipolar transistor input isn't it? I'm going to try an OPA656 FET input Amp.

much thanks!

Reply to
Fibo

Right. The 1010 also has a bunch of offset voltage. It's sort of a beast.

If the current is low, a c-load opamp would be better. Or a voltage regulator, maybe, if the load polarity stays to one side.

Aren't there specific rail splitter chips?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yup.

The OPA656 is a bit hot for that job--rail splitters usually have to drive a lot of capacitance, which will make the OPA656 oscillate. The LT1010 is an open-loop part, and is designed to drive a lot of capacitance, so it isn't a bad choice at all. It does have an output resistance of 12 ohms or so, so the regulation won't be perfect if you start drawing a lot of output current.

Since you're using a plug-in power supply, a few milliamps more or less won't worry you. I'd probably just use 500 ohm or 1k resistors instead of 100k, and stay with the LT1010.

TI also makes a dedicated rail splitter, the TLE2426, which has a much lower output resistance (about 8 milliohms) but only goes to 20 mA and needs at least 1 uF of capacitance on its output.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The LM8261 is c-load stable, and the LED looks nice.

This gates an analog signal into an acoustic-optic modulator, exact reason unknown to me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

There are some words that go with that circuit, like it is for flea-power loads such as split rail OA and comparators which draw relatively small current.

Not at small load currents where the bias is 100uA worst case. Then the offset induced by this current into the 10Ks is 0.1 mA x 10k||10k=0.5V which is 5% or less for supplies of 10V or more.

Yep- but that's your fault.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The LT1010 is intended for composite amp configurations so of course it looks ridiculous standalone. It's a Widlar creation.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

TLE2426, (Sphero turned me on to those... that man's an IC pusher.)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

^^^^^^ oops Spehro (sorry)

Reply to
George Herold

I don't think it's ridiculous, it's just old. I've used parts like that in the past, usually to move power dissipation away from a low drift stage. My fave used to be the LM6321 for slower stuff and the LH4009 or LH0063 for faster.

A lot of circuits aren't very sensitive to the exact supply rail voltages, so it could do a pretty good job there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Has he gained weight recently? :)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You will be roundly criticized for starting another pun thread.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've used it as an opamp power booster, inside the loop.

Hmmm, like like 18K pieces so far.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I could have used the TLE2426 in a design I did some time back. One of the upgrades I did was to improve the virtual ground. But the board has no room... literally *no* room for such huge parts as an SOIC-8. I wonder why they don't put this in a more space efficient package? I thought it might be the pin count, but the full die only has 4 connections so the 5 pin version of a SOT-23 would do the job. There seems to be a 4 pin version called that SOT143 too. Same size as far as I can tell, 3 x 2.5 mm.

I guess not so many who are cramped for space would be using a part like this. I notice it is a pretty old part too, so not likely to see any new packages.

--

Rick
Reply to

Well, you're ahead of me there, but I still have a couple of dozen LH0063s and LH4009s. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yup. You can get more current out of John's fave LM8261, from a SOT23-5. With a big package like an SO16, you can get a TCA0372, which is a dual with a 1.4 A peak output per channel. It can't do that for long, of course, because the package thermal resistance is horrible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs