Rail-splitting a wall wart

So we keep being asked for simple TIAs as incidental parts of our consulting work. They're useful to have around anyway.

It's a pain getting them to work right if we put SMPSes inside, so we're kicking around the idea of using a rail splitter on our usual 24V wall warts to make +15/-9 or something like that. We'd probably use a TCA0372 and a couple of big caps for the job.

Two-wire warts are isolated, of course, so as long as no bright spark decides to try running our box on the same wart as somebody else's, we should be fine, I think, but we haven't done it before.

Suggestions?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I like the little CUI dual-output dc/dc converters. Or one of the LM266x inverting charge pumps. But they might be noisy.

The little 3-terminal switchers will invert too. Some are around one dollar.

I'd expect that a TIA wouldn't need much current, so a rail splitter is sensible.

Wouldn't a negative regulator, an LM337 or a 7905, work as a rail splitter?

fredag den 3. februar 2023 kl. 21.50.16 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

Lm317 + LM337

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Wall warts are only isolated at DC! Some have horrible HF noise.

Only you know the kind of users but a lot of folk have trouble getting their mind around the idea of the non-positive supply rail not being ground. The near standard barrel DC jack with center pin positive encourages that notion so you may want to consider using a non-standard power connector?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

** Being made to meet Class 2 means having galvanic isolation from the AC supply and broad immunity against insulation failure without reliance on safety grounding.
** Indeed, many SMPS warts have a 1000 to 2000pF class Y cap from the hot side to the output.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A regulator typically can't sink current, so while it would hold the voltage down, it won't prevent the voltage from rising.

Reply to
Ricky

My audio mixer amp uses a BUF634P to split a 12VDC wall wart into ±6VDC:

Also, the audio mixer amp's notes contain a lot of useful links:

Danke,

Reply to
Don

You aren't in need of high current, are you? Two zeners and a bit of R for bias, and C for zener noise. Go ahead and waste a watt. 50 mA and 9.1V

Reply to
whit3rd

This should work:

Maybe, but if ground-to-minus current is over 5 mA, the negative regulation vanishes (it needs bias current to stabilize the zener voltage).

Reply to
whit3rd

Most situations more V+ than V-.

If this circuit won't work for you, don't use it. Or add a dump resistor somewhere.

Yeah, it's possible to bodge regulators to do that sort of thing after a fashion, but getting decent performance in all four quadrants takes a lot of parts AFAICT.

I'm leaning towards using a TCA0372 and a voltage divider to do the actual splitting, and then fixing it up for overcurrent with a dual comparator with mega hysteresis and back-to-back MOSFETs to cut the power.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I suggest reading Jim Williams' LTC AN-70 about push-pull power supplies. The circuits use transformers which some people balk at. If it doesn't meet your needs it is still a good read.

Reply to
Wanderer<dont

yeh, an opamp is easiest and it looks like that one is thermally protected so it should be pretty safe maybe add poly fuses to the input supply in case someone does something silly

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We have that problem already, even in products with inverting switchers making the negative supply.

Simon has been hacking KiCad to make it easy to plunk in our standard IP blocks, such as cap multipliers for various current ranges, fast quiet PGAs, MCUs with Modbus over RS-485, and so on.

We have these nice machined brass boxes with feedthrough caps that we're using for lots of stuff these days. There's a 3D printed section attached that has space for connectors and line filters, so that crap basically never gets inside the box.

So filtering the wart's output before letting it into the box is fairly easy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

you machine the boxes? then machine a separate cavity for the inverter?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, it's pretty cheap to do machined lead brass, because it cuts so easily. (You lot can't use it on account of the regime, but oh well.)

We could do separate cavities and all that, but due to the getting-off-the-couch setup charge, it's better to use one box design and hang 3D printed stuff off to the side. (It all looks like DKNY black/gold bling anyway.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

SMD RF shield cans are pretty cheap too

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yup. We use them a fair amount to control local interference, but just letting a noisy wire into the box creates problems from unknown outside stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

would you have the same issue with a wall wart?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen