Looking for simple way to interface BCD to serial (RS232)

--
Can you post the schematics, please?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

(I repeat)

The device I am talking about is a Doppler Systems DDF4002 doppler direction finder. It is an older modele that once had a serial interface option which is no longer available.

Your observation about the update rate is quite correct and is covered in the manual for the DDF4002, The theory section of the manual describes almost exactly the data rate assumptions you have stated but qualifies it with:

"However, the message is initiated only when the display is updated. Since this occurs at a maximum rate of 1/1.875 (0.533) seconds, ample time exists between characters and between messages to prevent overrunning.

There is also a later hardware mod to raise the 16X clock (4800 Hz from main board) to 38,400 Hz to provide 2400 baud.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

As you have the schematic why not use the solution provided there? Or is this part left out? But even then you'd find some remnants of the interface that'll make it much easier to provide a solution.

Supposing you have a signal that initiates the display update (and there must be some) the next algorithm will due (either in hardware or in a micro):

  1. Wait for display update
  2. Wait for leading edge of address pin 1
  3. Load digit 1 in shift register and shift it out
  4. Wait for leading edge of address pin 2
  5. Load digit 2 in shift register and shift it out
  6. Wait for leading edge of address pin 3
  7. Load digit 3 in shift register and shift it out
  8. Goto 1

If you really want a hardware only solution, the schematics of John Fields will give you a headstart.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

OOps??

We already shipped 100,000 units based on your last post!!

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

They wouldn't have made them out of the test department if you were running a good shop. So you should have said "we just scrapped 100,000 units..."

Reply to
MooseFET

=20

=20

=20

it=20

ICM7217IJI=20

=20

Which immediatly leads to the next question, what is on the other side of= that chip?

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

=20

=20

rate.

of=20

=20

port=20

=20

=20

=20

be=20

PIC=20

=20

Seeing as this your first post in this thread i have found, perhaps your=20 post did not appear in much of Usenet. =20

Reply to
JosephKK

is=20

gets=20

potential=20

rate.

of=20

I/O=20

port=20

see=20

the=20

:-)

all.=20

would be=20

PIC=20

can=20

nor

=20

productive.

Interesting. Your previous post reached OP but not me. I already know=20 that my news host does not get/propagate all posts.

Reply to
JosephKK

--
That's a shame...

Check Google groups; since this thread is all text they'll probably all
be there.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

chip?

--
If you're talking about the driven side of the 7217, it shouldn't make
much difference since all that's being output from the chip is four

The job, therefore, is to assemble the four output data bits, the strobe
bit, the start and stop bits, and to send all of them as a 10 bit serial
word formatted as RS-232 TRANSMITTED DATA to a receiver somewhere which
is expecting it to come in at a particular bit rate.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

chip?

An analog input signal :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

=20

FIFO=20

can=20

nice=20

a=20

it=20

ICM7217IJI=20

I/O=20

=20

of that chip?

Already having the data in a convenient form reduces the design = complexity.

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

FIFO=20

can=20

nice=20

a=20

it=20

ICM7217IJI=20

I/O=20

LED=20

of that chip?

And that would lead to an entirely different solution space.

Reply to
JosephKK

that chip?

--
"Solution space" ???

Pretentious nonsense.

Regardless of what feeds the input(s) of the 7217, the outputs we're
concerned with are the four-bit BCD I/O and the four digit strobes which
identify which BCD digit is which.

What the OP wants is a way to convert the BCD and digit strobe data into
a format which can be read by an RS-232 DTE box, and several solutions
were presented earlier on in the thread.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

that chip?

--
You do seem to have a remarkable grasp of the obvious but, other than
demonstrating that,  I don't understand what point you're trying to

JF
Reply to
John Fields

that chip?

Certainly. A different problem space, of course, has a different solution space. ;-)

Your (first) solution was clearly the simplest, given that an appropriate baud rate generator can be had easily.

Reply to
krw

that=20

and=20

=46IFO=20

can=20

nice=20

without a=20

do it=20

ICM7217IJI=20

I/O=20

select=20

LED=20

side of that chip?

That's odd. I was under the impression that the output of the 7217 was=20

7 segments of 4 digit LED display scanned.
Reply to
JosephKK

that chip?

It actually has both 7 segment drivers and BCD I/O's. The lines used to strobe the display segments also used to address the BCD output.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

"JosephKK"

that=20

and=20

a FIFO=20

device can=20

be nice=20

without a=20

can do it=20

ICM7217IJI=20

BCD I/O=20

select=20

the LED=20

side of that chip?

which

was=20

into

solutions

Looked up most probable chip. Weird. But i more nearly understand now.

Reply to
JosephKK