is it possible to interface SPI to serial?

Nope, that's probably the best. Look around, there should be some very small solutions. Don't overlook parts that have UARTs but no SPI -- SPI is easy to bit-bang. If you hold the baud rate down and you don't mind consuming lots of processor resources you can even bit-bang asynchronous serial; I believe that Microchip has app notes.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi - I'm looking to connect an RF chip with an SPI interface

to a computer through the serial port. Right now I'm just planning on putting a microcontroller that has both a uart and an spi interface between the computer and the chip - but are there any more elegant solutions? Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael Noone

Michael,

Maxim makes a few chips specifically for spi-uart interfacing. max3100, max 3110, max3111 the latter 2 come in pdip packages if you are doing this homebrew. super simple chips and have worked well for me.

Good luck

Ron

Reply to
Ron

It is also possible to bit-bang the status lines of the serial port. You need level shifters/drives of course. It moves the programming effort from the uC to to PC's OS

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Look at the Maxim 3100 family. These are SPI interface UARTs, complete with the line drivers built in.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Thanks,

I think they all have. And I know Texas has for the MSP430.

/Anders

Reply to
Anders F

I haven't looked too closely at the datasheets but I doubt, my guess is that both the RF and the MAX31xx is a SPI slave i.e. it won't work .....

use a micro instead

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"Ron" wrote in news:1107336802.610066.246010 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Ah - the max3110/3111

look perfect for my needs. Thanks for the help!

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Noone