lithium battery fun?

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Yawn

for every single BEV fire there are thousands of gasoline cars catching fire.

etc etc etc

Reply to
Andy Bennet

onsdag den 8. januar 2020 kl. 16.12.51 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

nope, police confirmed that the fire started with an old diesel car

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

...And for every single EV there are tens of thousands of gasoline vehicles. Now, being engineers, how should we actually approach this analysis?

Reply to
DemonicTubes

+1
Reply to
John S

hnology.com:

There you go again with your mindless linking to factoid articles without r egard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated the fi re beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense there wa s partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it kind o f difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain water wa s ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lots of batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearance wit h ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the place in to a rocket stove.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Once again the Lark troll posts his crap without even looking for real information...

"The fire was initially reported at 3:33pm on Tuesday. The initial alert was a report of an electric car having caught fire, but police later confirmed to NRK that the fire started in a 2005 model diesel car."

If after a hundred years of development we still can't prevent petroleum fueled cars from causing such massive fires, perhaps we need to find an alternative?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

echnology.com:

regard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated the fire beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense there was partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it kind of difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain water was ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lots o f batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearance w ith ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the place into a rocket stove.

I expect the Lark troll to post garbage without thinking. You seem to actu ally give thought, just not very good thought. Everything you posted here was just made up crap. I guess you have some sort of irrational bias towar ds EVs?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Too many people on this forum see something and jump to a conclusion that fits in with their confirmatory bias.

I'm sure there will be quite a few such posts in this thread.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

ptechnology.com:

ut regard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated th e fire beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense ther e was partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it ki nd of difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain wate r was ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lots of batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearance with ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the plac e into a rocket stove.

tually give thought, just not very good thought. Everything you posted her e was just made up crap. I guess you have some sort of irrational bias tow ards EVs?

banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly lithium w ill burn if you get it wet.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Even if the EV is not involved in the original fire, it's a problem if it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less dangerous than others.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

The reason tanks usually have diesel engines is that diesel is hard to ignite.

I wonder if they are sure.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

niptechnology.com:

hout regard to relevance. Did it occur to you the EVs may have exacerbated the fire beyond control when they caught fire??? The heat was so intense th ere was partial collapse of the structure in numerous areas. That makes it kind of difficult to get the fire under control. And the fact that plain wa ter was ineffective in fire suppression sort of gives away the fact that lo ts of batteries were burning. And the very limited floor to ceiling clearan ce with ample avenues for air jet formation to feed the fire, turned the pl ace into a rocket stove.

actually give thought, just not very good thought. Everything you posted h ere was just made up crap. I guess you have some sort of irrational bias t owards EVs?

e banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly lithium will burn if you get it wet.

Lithium batteries don't contain large amounts of metallic lithium. The rec ommended way to deal with a lithium battery fire is to dunk it in water. I mportant to know if your cell phone bursts into flames in your pocket. Alw ays carry your cell phone with a bottle of water next to it.

Oh, they don't let you carry gasoline or diesel fuel onto airplanes either, even in your checked baggage. They still let you bring lithium batteries though... laptops, cell phones, all sorts of devices in fact. Good thing t he methanol based fuel cell never appeared in cell phones. I'm sure they w ould never make it on a commercial flight.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 4:51:36 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly lithi um will burn if you get it wet.

's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less dange rous than others.

If you are worried about the 24 kWh in your battery, which will NEVER explo de like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a motor scoot er or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline which conta ins 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the right co nditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric weapon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the living daylig hts out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bombs, n ot to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Diesel engines are also much less susceptible to variable fuel - as long as the filters keep small particles out of the injectors and pumps.

They're not as tolerant as turbines however, which can run on almost anything that burns.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

ote:

y are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly lit hium will burn if you get it wet.

it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less dan gerous than others.

lode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a motor sco oter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline which con tains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the right conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric weapo n, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the living dayl ights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bombs, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

Gasoline fire is by no mean safer, but as least it flows and spread out. L ithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

We had an outbreak of "hoverboard" (battery powered skateboard) fires here, from cheap import lithium batteries. Batteries pack chemical reactants very close together.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

hey are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly l ithium will burn if you get it wet.

f it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less d angerous than others.

xplode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a motor s cooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline which c ontains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the righ t conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric wea pon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the living da ylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bomb s, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

here they recently got containers for EV, they idea is to pull the car insi de and flood it

7907736-20191113144023
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly lithium will burn if you get it wet.

if it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less dangerous than others.

explode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a motor scooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline which contains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the ri ght conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric w eapon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the living daylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bo mbs, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

. Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

And burning a 24kWh battery will release far more energy than 24kWh.

side and flood it

-77907736-20191113144023

Problem is if the car is inside a garage. It will consume everything aroun d it before you can pull it out. I ban my EV from my garage.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

hey are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correctly l ithium will burn if you get it wet.

f it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less d angerous than others.

xplode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a motor s cooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline which c ontains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the righ t conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric wea pon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the living da ylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bomb s, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

There is no such thing as a lithium fire with a lithium battery. It is the energy in the cell being released through a short. The chemicals may burn , but it isn't elemental lithium burning. I've worked with lithium and it is so reactive it will burst into flames on exposure to water or even air. That's why it's not in batteries. BTW, the same is true for sodium. So i f you are that afraid of the lithium compounds in batteries, maybe you shou ld stop using table salt on your food. Lithium and sodium are both deadly poisons too you know.

They don't have many Lithium tanker truck fires on the highways. We had a really horrible gas tanker fire on the DC beltway some time back where the fire was so intense they closed the overpass for a few days until they coul d verify the steel had not been weakened like in the World Trade Center. I t's hard to find on the Internet though because of all the more recent gas truck fires and explosions on the DC beltway. It seems like a regular occu rrence.

Gas and diesel need to go away for many reasons. Fire safety is one of the big ones.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C