lithium battery fun?

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 7:07:43 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

l They are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correct ly lithium will burn if you get it wet.

em if it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still le ss dangerous than others.

ER explode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a mot or scooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline whi ch contains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the right conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric weapon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the livin g daylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bombs, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

ut. Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

inside and flood it

und it before you can pull it out. I ban my EV from my garage.

Lol, you certainly are not the voice of reason. Virtually everything you d o is irrational.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

torsdag den 9. januar 2020 kl. 01.07.43 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

l They are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember correct ly lithium will burn if you get it wet.

em if it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still le ss dangerous than others.

ER explode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a mot or scooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline whi ch contains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the right conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobaric weapon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the livin g daylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bombs, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

ut. Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

inside and flood it

und it before you can pull it out.

so will a regular car

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

m:

nal They are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember corre ctly lithium will burn if you get it wet.

blem if it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but still less dangerous than others.

EVER explode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a m otor scooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline w hich contains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under th e right conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermobar ic weapon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the liv ing daylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kW h bombs, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

out. Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

r inside and flood it

round it before you can pull it out.

"A vehicle fire is an undesired conflagration involving a motor vehicle. Al so termed car fire or auto fire, it is one of the most common causes of fir e-related property damage."

I don't know why people like to spread misinformation that they simply made up on their own. In other words, BS.

It has become self-evident that Edward is not all there.

--

[...]

With regular car, you dump lots of water to dilute the gasoline. Not so ea sy with lithium battery.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 9:36:43 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

:

com:

ional They are banned on aircraft flights for a reason. If I remember cor rectly lithium will burn if you get it wet.

roblem if it's involved later. I know. I am driving a 24kWh bomb, but stil l less dangerous than others.

NEVER explode like a bomb, you should be just as afraid of a lawn mower, a motor scooter or any of dozens of other things that are fueled by gasoline which contains 35 kWh of energy per gallon and can actually explode under the right conditions of mixing with air. The military calls that a thermob aric weapon, or a fuel-air bomb. Very deadly. Heck, it should scare the l iving daylights out of you to drive on the highway with all those 400, 500 kWh bombs, not to mention the 18 wheel MWh mega-bombs.

ad out. Lithium fire will stay until it burns out completely.

car inside and flood it

around it before you can pull it out.

easy with lithium battery.

Same method. Stop making stuff up. Ok?

BTW, water and gasoline don't mix, so "dilute" is BS. On the other hand ga soline creates flammable vapors which can literally make a garage explode! Again, stop making stuff up. Ok?

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Referring to lithium batteries, you have to admit that putting oxidizer and fuel in intimate proximity in the same package is a recipe for a bomb.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Jeroen Belleman wrote in news:qv6oh7$l2d$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Hell, add some Aluminum powder!

Do LiFePo batteries have explosive 'events'?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:qv6os7$m62$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Very first search suggestion "Do LiFePo batteries explode" I did not even have to type 6 letters.

As for the answer... NO. They are the safest Lithium formulation batteries so far.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

he energy in the cell being released through a short. The chemicals may bu rn, but it isn't elemental lithium burning. I've worked with lithium and i t is so reactive it will burst into flames on exposure to water or even air . That's why it's not in batteries.

It's not in Li-ion batteries maybe, but coin cell Li batteries DO display a patch of shiny metal when disassembled; I'd always assumed that was lithium. And, watch batter ies HAVE been implicated in fires.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It is not just the short. The cell's medium, when feeding that short is also part of the fire's heat and fuel.

It depends on the formulation. Li-ion are dangerous because the oxygen is freely available. In a LiFePo it is tighly bound.

So, the Li-ion is a heat source during that shorting event, whereas in the LiFePo case, the heat is all in the short load. They do not heat much when charging either.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Is it any worse than putting a liquid fuel into an object traveling at spee d in the presence of a gaseous oxidizer? At least in the batteries used in cars the fuel and oxidizer are solid. It doesn't leak out and roam around vaporizing into a fuel-air bomb looking for a source of ignition.

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

the energy in the cell being released through a short. The chemicals may burn, but it isn't elemental lithium burning. I've worked with lithium and it is so reactive it will burst into flames on exposure to water or even a ir. That's why it's not in batteries.

a patch of shiny metal

eries

I stand corrected. I should have said either lithium ion batterys or recha rgeable lithium batteries. Lithium primary batteries use metallic lithium as the anode.

Even so batteries of all types can be mishandled and cause fires. What is even worse is having a flammable liquid that can be dispersed and ignited. No one ever made a Molotov cocktail out of lithium batteries.

There is one thing worse than having either a gasoline tank or a lithium ba ttery in a car, HAVING BOTH!!! So beware the hybrid! Also, never ride in a car with a smoker!!! Why would anyone want to have a source of ignition right there in your hand with all that fuel around???

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

The article suggests that the fire started in a battery powered car. This is not correct. The fire started in a 2005 diesel powered Opel Zafira.

When the owner tried to start it, it would not start, and smoke came out from the engine compartment. The owner then tried to start it again. More smoke came out and then the fire started.

The same model car started a large fire in an Irish parking garage last year.

The Zafira has three recalls because of fire problems, involving

235,000 cars. There are a total of 300 known fires in this car. The first known fire was ten years ago.

Opel Norway claim that they do not know of any other car fires with the Zafira in Norway.

At least one case of fire has been documented, though:

Neither of the parking garages in Ireland or Norway had a fire sprinkler system.

RoRo
Reply to
Robert Roland

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Don't see anyone smoking in the 16" 50 caliber gun turret magazines on Navy destroyers either.

I wonder why... ;-)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

What???!!! What do you think goes into the fuel tank as you draw fuel out? Do you think they have a vacuum in there? Do they use a collapsible blad der? No, the let air into the tank. Air that is some 20% oxygen. Are you terrified of that? Maybe you should be. There were 230 people who died o ver NY who should have been afraid.

el-tank-explosions/

Yeah, fuel tank explosions happen! Aviation fuel is not much different fro m kerosene which is not much different from diesel fuel. None are as flamm able as gas and yet they cause an enormous number of accidents and deaths. We have simply become inured to these deaths and horrible disfigurements. People are afraid of battery fires because they don't know much about them and so respond with their monkey brain rather than trying to learn about t hem.