Dangers of LI-ion batteries

These things are seriously dangerous, from exploding phones to exploding kids scooters, to exploding vape-cigarettes

Texas Man Dies After Vape Pen Explosion Severs Artery to Brain

From personal experience I did once puncture Li-ion battery casing because it was 'puffed up' so I thought I'd let the gas out.

Big mistake , it started hissing & went off like fire cracker.

Imaging what it's going to be like in a crumpled electric car after an accident, its going to be a furnace for those trapped inside.

Also when the "share bikes" failed, why are they allowing "share electric scooters" on the roads, when each one is carrying a potential ticking fire bomb that could do serious damage.

I guess they'll learn when they get sued for everything when some gets injured/killed.

--
 'Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything
else is public relations.' - George Orwell

*Beat the system, don't let the corporate fascist take away your
privacy. https://www.privacytools.io/#
Reply to
Taupe

There have been a few such cases already, but for occupants it's not much worse than leaking petrol catching fire after a crash. The main difference is that it requires a large quantity of water to extinguish (actually to cool the cells surrounding ones that are already alight to prevent them catching fire before the burning ones have burnt out), whereas petrol fires can be put out more easily using firefighting foams. The burning cells also tend to launch themselves like rockets out from the vehicle, which could injure bystanders/firemen or start other fires nearby.

Samsung survived their burning phone problems a few years ago. As long as the trend for things like extremely thin smart phones continues, there will always be a call for packing as much power as possible into a very small space, and that need for increased energy desnity leads businesses and consumers to accept these more volatile battery chemistries.

--

Your Phone Is a Ticking Time Bomb

Your EV Is a Ticking Time Bomb too!!

#BoycottEurovision2019