No Bolt parking in San Francisco

Lucky to find 10 feet spacings in city like San Francisco.

Reply to
Ed Lee

LOL

Reply to
Ed Lee

We have street cleaning, opposite sides on alternate weeks, and nobody parks there lest they get a $75 ticket. The side to be swept is an excellent place to park a burning car.

Reply to
jlarkin

If they time it right to have the ignition, with the HV battery out and burning, not much time to look for street signs. Wherever the car stop running is the parking spot.

Will insurance pay other cars if they don't follow manufacturer's parking guidelines? Will they have to argue who park there first?

Reply to
Ed Lee

Surely all the computing power in a Tesla can schedule fires, or detect them and move the car in time.

Or even blow the horn to wake up people whose Tesla has ignited in the garage. And send them a text. And call 911.

If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end with doubts, but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties. Francis Bacon

But they don't happen when off and parked. Seriously, this GM parking advice is a bit overboard. It's just not possible for a 50 feet clearance (of car and other properties) in most urban environment.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Are you completely incapable of reading? Go back and read about the garage fires. Do you think they happened while the cars were driving into or out of the garages? The one in Norway destroyed some hundreds of also parked ICE vehicles. Here's the link again in case you can't find it.

What a maroon!

Reply to
Rick C

"

" "The driver of the SUV was inside the vehicle when it burst into flames but was able to get out. The extent of their injuries is unknown at this time but they were treated on the scene."

It was not parked.

Need a mirror?

Reply to
Ed Lee

You are the one not reading them.

Yes, they were driving it in the SFO and Norway airport.

Original Text: Vi har en formening om at brannen startet i en eldre dieselbil. Det var en far med små barn som hadde bilen som så røyk fra motoren. Plutselig sto det flammer fra den, forteller politiets innsatsleder på Sola, Frode Kleven til Dagbladet.

English Translation: We have a feeling that the fire started in an older diesel car. It was a father with small children who had the car that saw smoke from the engine. Suddenly there were flames from it, the police task leader at Sola, Frode Kleven tells Dagbladet.

It was not off and not parked again.

I think you do.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Ok, you are right. The cars were being operated. So we can make them safe by not operating them. That works well in a parking garage. The owners can't bring them in or remove them once they are in. Sounds like a great plan. We'll put you in charge of it.

Reply to
Rick C

I am not saying EVs are more dangerous than ICE, or we should stop using EV. I am just making the point that ignition from "off and park" EV adds another angle to be considered.

Reply to
Ed Lee

The fallacy is that it is a problem that requires any special consideration. Most people are completely unaware of the risk of their vehicles catching on fire because it is not a large risk. If it catches on fire while you are not in it, all the better. I prefer my auto fires to happen when I'm not in them. Isn't that safer? I think so.

Reply to
Rick C

Hope you are not sleeping in your bedroom, while the car is smoking.

Reply to
Ed Lee

On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 12:50:15 AM UTC-4, Ed Lee wrote:

Yes, much better to be in the car when it bursts into flames.

So far the people burned in EVs were most likely dead or unconscious before the car caught fire. Gasoline can literally explode. Gasoline fires don't take a large accident to spill the fuel and spread very quickly after an accident. They are immensely gruesome, a horrible way to die. There are so many ICE vehicle fires every year that we mostly have grown inured. People seem to dwell on the so many fewer EV fires. I guess they are "new" and get a lot of press.

“From 2012 – 2020, there has been approximately one Tesla vehicle fire for every 205 million miles traveled. By comparison, data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and U.S. Department of Transportation shows that in the United States there is a vehicle fire for every 19 million miles traveled.”

"5 Most Flammable Cars

Some recent recalls and news reports include the following vehicles that are most likely to catch fire:

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport: 45,000 units were recalled with a potential transmission fluid leak. The 2015 Outlander Sport Crossover SUV was the most affected model. Mercedes sedans and SUVs made from 2015-2017 1 million cars were recalled globally after 51 reported fires. C-Class, E-Class, CLA cars, GLA and GLC SUVs were affected. The problem included an overheating starter port. If the car fails to start, repeated attempts can overheat the limiter and start a fire. Nissan 2016 and 2017 Murano and Maxima, 2017 Infiniti QX60, and 2017-2018 Pathfinder 215,000 vehicles were involved in a combination of two recalls. The reported cause is the anti-lock brake system leakage resulting in brake fluid dripping onto a circuit board causing a short and leading to fire. Kia Sorento and Optima, and Hyundai Santa Fe and Sonata manufactured from 2011-2014, and Kia Soul manufactured from 2010-2015 Kia and parent company Hyundai has recently been urged to recall nearly 3 million cars and SUVs with complaints of vehicles catching fire while driving. Drivers have filed 220 complaints of fires and 200 complaints of smoldering wires. These fires happen during normal driving. BMW 1,3, and 5 series. Z4, X3, and X5 1 million cars manufactured from 2006-2011 were recalled near the end of 2017. The problem was reported to be a rusty crankcase ventilation valve. The 3 series had additional wiring issues where the heating and air conditioner wiring could overheat and start a fire.'

I don't see a single EV in the list.

"An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deaths 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018."

It will be a long time before EVs kill 560 people a year in fires, maybe never.

Reply to
Rick C

Some were unattended property damages, including an auto-shop, after the customer dropped off the vehicle.

Anyway, perhaps we can offer them 150-foot charging cable, with a pair of transformers to step up/down the voltage.

"One woman in upstate New York, who was concerned about the safety of her home in the event the Bolt began burning, said GM offered her a 150-foot charging cable that would have allowed her to charge her car far away from her wooden house. But later, she said, another GM representative told her that no such cord existed. GM confirmed to CNN Business that there is no charging cord that long."

Ed Lee