EVs present multiple safety problems for the public

The much heavier weight of EVs could cause parking garages to collapse. An EV fire in a parking garage is virtually impossible to fight. They are also a threat to lighter ICE cars in a crash. On top of that, EV owners don't pay for road maintenance and construction because they don't pay gas taxes!

Flyguy

I guess that's why they don't allow full sized pickup trucks to park in decks. Right?

Reply to
Ricky

Trust Sewage Sweeper to seep up some more right-wing miss-information. In reality electric vehicles tend to be 30% heavier than their gasoline-engined equivalents, but there always have been a distribution in vehicle weights, and another 30% extra weight in a parking garage is no more likely to cause it to collapse than a sudden influx of SUVs.

SUVs present the same sort of danger to lighter cars in a car crash, and this hasn't lead to them being banned'

And the crap about them no paying for road maintenance is just silly - they don't do so at the moment, because there aren't enough of them to matter, but it's just that the responsible authorities haven't yet got around to imposing a road use tax on everybody, mainly because they haven't yet sorted out the cheapest and most comprehensive way of doing it.

My car already get billed for a road use tax on selected roads in Sydney - it's fitted with an active card at the top of the windscreen which beeps when I enter and leave a toll road, and the portal sends me a bill every six months or so. Stick a GPS locator in it and it can tell the portal where I've been since I last went through one.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

These infernal things are an absolute menace. It's so easy as a pedestrian to get hit by one passing by because you can't hear it coming. I note that aspect is missing from the article yet it's probably one of the most important safety issues regarding EVs (apart from the fact that they spontaneously combust whilst locking all the doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece! Seriously, these things are a menace and need to be taken off the roads and production of any more shut down world-wide.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They seem to have be required to incorporate a audilble noise source just to deal with this, at least in some juristictions.

doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

Electric batteries don't "spontaneously combust". Self-discharge does get worse as they get older, and that does warm the battery.

Electric cars do have built-in battery managements systems which do monitor the temperature of the battery core and its surface.

If the self-heating gets back enough to get the battery core up to about 120C, they can go into thermal run-away, when the self heating is bad enough make self-discharge dramatically worse. but the battery management will have been flashing lights and sounding the horn long before that. The owner can can ignore it, but the event isn't "spontaneous".

Flyguy seems to suffer from the same kind of ignorant alarmism.

Actually getting rid of battery at it's end of life isn't difficult. The full name is "a battery of cells" and the individual cells aren't large, so you just dismantle the battery and send the cells off to be recycled, in whatever bite-sized chunks suit you and recycler. Much less of a problem than an internal combustion engine block.

Cursitor Doom is a menace and needs to removed from the internet before anybody takes him seriously. Perhaps we could settle for a government health warming - this poster no grasp of reality and a passion for for fatuous fairy tales - but it probably wouldn't be enough.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

They seem to have been required to incorporate a audible noise source just to deal with this, at least in some juristictions.

doors so no one can get out.) And we haven't even begun to get to grips with the environmental cost of dealing with end-of-life batteries for these things, which can easily weigh 1400kg a piece!

Electric batteries don't "spontaneously combust". Self-discharge does get worse as they get older, and that does warm the battery.

Electric cars do have built-in battery managements systems which do monitor the temperature of the battery core and the battery surface.

If the self-heating gets bad enough to get the battery core up to about 120C, they can go into thermal run-away, when the self heating is high enough make self-discharge dramatically worse. but the battery management will have been flashing lights and sounding the horn long before that. The owner can can ignore it, but the event isn't "spontaneous".

Flyguy seems to suffer from the same kind of ignorant alarmism about battereis.

Actually getting rid of battery at it's end of life isn't difficult. The full name is "a battery of cells" and the individual cells aren't large, so you just dismantle the battery and send the cells off to be recycled, in whatever bite-sized chunks suit you and recycler. Much less of a problem than an internal combustion engine block.

Cursitor Doom is a menace and needs to removed from the internet before anybody takes him seriously. Perhaps we could settle for a government health warming - this poster no grasp of reality and a passion for for fatuous fairy tales - but it probably wouldn't be enough.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

If you can't hear an EV coming, it's because you are deaf. It was a couple of years ago, they required EVs to make noise equivalent to an ICE when driving at parking lot speeds. On the road, tires make as much noise as a car engine.

Which is not supported by any facts.

Again, not supported by the facts.

Not sure which vehicle you are talking about. My model X has a 540 kg battery and it's one of the largest EVs on the road. EV batteries are recycled, first by using them as batteries in stationary applications, then by using the materials inside.

It's fortunate that you stand alone in this idea, other than a few other kooks.

Reply to
Ricky

I don't give a damn how much noise they don't make on the highway. The fact is in Yurp they're as silent as the grave - which is where any unfortunate pedestrian who enounters one will end up if he's hit by one.

Perhaps not in your neck of the woods, but hereabouts it's certainly the case.

Bloody well is! I have posted several links to Teslas bursting into flames and cooking their passengers whose egress from the conflagration (and it *is* a conflagration, believe me) was prevented by the doors automatically locking them inside. You know damn well this lead to the somewhat tasteless joke about a "free cremation for every new owner" going the rounds a while ago.

Er, no, sorry. That's the line spouted by the manufacturers but it's not the actual reality. The fact of the matter is that there is an incipient environmental catastrophe unfolding right now. And it will become increasingly difficult for people like yourself to ignore now that the first generation of these EVs are reaching end of life.

You and that conspicuous idiot Bill Sloman are the only kooks ignoring the reality of the situation here. You mark my words: the disposal of EV batteries will be the next BIG ISSUE going forward. MARK MY WORDS....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:33:46 UTC-7, Cursitor Doom wrote: ...

They do not weigh 1400kg.

The battery in a Tesla Model 3 long range weighs less than 500kg which is typical for the larger ones.

kw

Reply to
ke...

Probably 1400 pounds for most EVs.

My Leaf battery #1 is 400kg/700 pounds, #2 is 40kg/100 pounds, #3 is 14kg/30 pounds, #4 is 10kg/20 pounds.

Reply to
Eddy Lee

Not even 1400lbs for most EVs

The Tesla Model Y (the most popular EV) has a battery weight of 445kg/979lb.

kw

Reply to
ke...

søndag den 24. september 2023 kl. 15.33.46 UTC+2 skrev Cursitor Doom:

type into google: "what is the weight of a tesla 3 battery" ...

"The Standard Range version carries 2,976 cells arranged in 96 groups of 31. The Long Range version carries 4,416 cells arranged in 96 groups of 46, and weighs 1,060 pounds (480 kg)"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Whitewashing and cover-ups can only work for so long. In the fullness of time, you'll see the truth emerge......

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They'd have to be as stone deaf as you seem to be.

Cursitor Doom doesn't invent his own facts - he relies on other right-wing half-wits to do it for him, they tells you how utter;y relialbe his favourite brand o nonsense is..

Your capacity for finding right wing nonsense is unparalleled, and the fact that you haven't posted the links again is pretty clear evidence that they got a sceptical reception the first time you tried.

Not the "reality" that Cursitor Doom has decided to invent.

But one that is likely to stay incipient forever, like the rest of Cursitor Doom's bogus prophecies.

Since there's absolutely no sign of any "incipient environmental catastrophe" this is just another of of Cursitor Doom's bogus prophecies.

Seriously, malicious clowns like Cursitor Doom should be taken off the Internet, or a least subject to crushing charges for posting dangerous misinformation and pretending that it has any factual basis,

Cursitor Doom does enjoy his little delusions. In his mind he isn't a demented right-winger spouting absurd nonsense because he enjoys the frisson of being totally fatuous.

5% of the population needs psychiatric help and Cursitor Doom is part of that small but noisy faction. One of his more fatuous delusiuon is that he and the rest of the Daily Mail reading minority are actually part of a silent majority who share their flagrantly silly ideas.

We mark your words as seriously deluded. You posts probably ought to automatically marked with a public intellectual health warning.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

It wouldn't. He proudly explained how he'd done exactly that - or what he though t was exactly that - to investigate the reality of anthropogenic global warming.

What he did was put together a third of a ton of obsolete documents, mostly from the 1890's, presenting erratic results that he could cherry pick to support his lunatic idea that atmospheric CO2 levels aren't actually rising, and he's ignored all the modern data on the grounds that it has been produced by a grand conspiracy of all the climate scientists around the world to delude the public.

Of course black-washing and invention - which is what Cursitor Doom is doing - is ineffective even in the short term because it is obviously nonsense.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Actually the real safety problem with EVs s that they tend to make right-wing lunatics run around like headless chickens, broadcasting their groundless anxieties at the tops of their voices.

Right-winger don't like any change at in society at all, unless it is presented to them as the restoration of some mythical golden age. Real golden ages don't hack it - people can find out what was wrong with them.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I just explained to you how new EVs all have to make noise at parking lot speeds. Then there is the fact that you are blind, since you should be looking where you are going. It's not all up to the driver of the car to avoid the pedestrians who walk in front of him.

The doors don't "lock". My doors have a mechanical handle. I can open them at any time. Please stop lying about this.

Yes!!! We are very much aware of climate change caused by the massive emissions of CO2, largely by autos.

The "first generation" of EVs sold in the 10's of thousands per year. The Nissan leaf sold 100,000 a year at some point. The Tesla model 3 is the first car to sell in significant volumes and started shipping in 2018. So you are a long way off, as is any "crisis" in recycling the batteries. You need to keep in mind that these batteries aren't tossed when they reach 70% capacity. They are simply removed from automotive use and put into stationary applications.

You are pretty funny. When will this catastrophe happen?

How many tires does your car go through? What is the volume and weight of those tires? What the hell do they do with all of them? God forbid they catch on fire. They never get put out. Even if not on fire, they hold water and create mosquito breeding grounds. But you don't seem to think they are a problem.

No, of course not. You just get a hard on anytime you can complain about an EV.

Reply to
Ricky

Not "most" EVs. Only the longest range EVs. There may be larger batteries in some of the monster pickups. But pickups are always monster these days, weight tons (literally) in all models.

I think your Leaf is no longer considered an EV. You probably would get better range by using AA batteries. These days, it's more of a paperweight.

Reply to
Ricky

road transport about 30% of global CO2 emmissions, cars about half of those 30%

Tire manufacturer says EVs use tires about 30% faster that ICE cars

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

paperweight ready to go up in flames at any moment