LCD cleaning

Same with my iPhone. The touch screen gets dirty with fingerprints (always) and with food (occasionally).

Reply to
John S

Wrote up? The stories I listed are what I consider normal or typical monitor dirt that seem to be quite common. Unusual would be what kids can do to monitors[1], monitors on boats (salt encrustation), and various forms of liquid, mud, or filth immersion. Most LCD monitors, such as yours, lead a quiet and sedate existence, punctuated only by the chronic replacement of bulging electrolytic capacitors and replaced only due to failing eyesight. I'm sure those are out there, but I never see them. I only see the accidents, nightmares, horror stories, filthy environments, and gross misusers. Hopefully, you can forgive me for assuming that most computer users are predisposed toward destroying their LCD monitors.

Someone mentioned scratching the screen from repeated and excessive cleaning. I just realized that I've seen this at a local hospital. I don't know exactly what was happening, but my guess(tm) is that they regularly clean the screen to prevent contact infections. The scratches and wipe marks were quite visible when the display was off, but disappeared nicely with a bright background. I suspect they've learned to tolerate scratches that way.

[1] No, you can't feed your computer game playmate a sandwich through the screen.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I've seen the inverse phenomenon: a headphones cable got smooshed under the chair's rollers. So I reinforced it with some mylar tape (the good yellow kind used for transformers -- mylar film, acrylic something or other adhesive). All nice and solid for the time being. Fast forward some months: the tape is getting kind of gooey, very much unlike the almost dry tack the stuff has off the roll.

Plastics are weird, and disequilibrium of plasticisers (and whatever else goes into making (in this case) neoprene(?) insulation and acrylic tape adhesive, among other things, the consistency they are) is an annoying problem.

In your case, hardening due to temperature and UV might be contributors too.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Well, a moment in geological time, maybe.

Reply to
John S

Okay, okay, Jeff. I got your point the first time. No need to go on about it forever and reveal every stage of your life.

First hand experience? If you can possibly resist (which I doubt), please do not explain about feeding your computer a sandwich.

Reply to
John S

Wipe it on your thigh! :>

At least a phone is relatively easy to reorient to minimize the (current) visibility of "fingerprints". Not as easy to do with larger, stationary displays.

But, folks think of the "elegance" of a touchscreen without considering the maintenance/practical issues. Sort of like stainless steel (or

*black*!) kitchen appliances.
Reply to
Don Y

People don't seem to "think ahead" when it comes to sticking things on pieces of kit. Esp if it isn't *their* bit of kit!

SWMBO is a painter ("artist"). You can't believe the rules regarding what comes into contact with an "original" piece of artwork! Even how it gets *stored*, displayed, etc! Obviously, folks with a long history of watching poor material choices "ruin" irreplaceable objects leads them to be fairly conservative in the do's and don'ts!

Reply to
Don Y

Part of the reason for seeking a COTS "LCD cleaner" is to provide my friend with a "turn-key" solution (no pun intended). E.g., a bottle that is intended to dispense cleaning fluid in the manner appropriate for cleaning a monitor -- instead of just a generic

*jar*!

Likewise, something with a small "exposed surface" to minimize evaporative losses. In other parts of the country, I'd worry more about the hygroscopic characteristics. But, not a problem, here (except a short portion of the year).

I use emptied "saline nasal mist" bottles -- similar to: but larger -- and fill with alcohol + distilled water. Cap seals nice and tight (no evaporative losses) so it doesn't spill when it gets knocked over. And, as the bottle is squeezable, it's a great applicator.

[The fact that they are readily available (discards) also saves me the hassle of having to *find*/purchase a suitable bottle. That, in itself, is worth a fair bit! :> ]
Reply to
Don Y

I have designed touchscreen controller chips... I wouldn't own one ;-) ...Jim Thompson

It's becoming very difficult to do so, nowadays. Between phones and cars, its hard to escape the (perceived -- by manufacture) "need" for one. It was a significant concern of ours when looking for a vehicle -- I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to ensure my finger touches the *correct* spot on a FEATURELESS, SMOOTH surface in order to *do* .

[E.g., I can dial *my* telephone with my eyes closed AND hand behind my back.]

Some of the vehicles we looked at touted (genuine) iPads in the dash. C'mon... go out to the car to surf the web? That's almost as inane as sitting down at your computer to "listen to music", "watch TV", etc.

Reply to
Don Y

mentions "silica" as an ingredient.

I don't want to be in the "supply" business. Much easier to just say, "Go to your local and buy a bottle of " And, I'm out of the equation, thereafter. IME, people will have you "do" for them pretty much all that you are *willing* to do for them! :<

Hence *my* choice of alcohol. I'm not fond of the "vinegar" smell. (And, if you tell someone to use vinegar, they tend to think "all vinegars are created equal" -- which they aren't, esp for an app like this.)

We have *lots* of dust, here. Probably a consequence of the low humidity (search for "Haboob"). So, it is not uncommon for things to end up *coated* in short order.

I've had to make covers for my monitors, keyboards to help cut down on the amount of cleaning required.

Reply to
Don Y

Yep. I have an ancient LG VN251 with full qwerty keyboard. Sooner or later it will die and I find no suitable replacements available :-(

I have a Garmin nuvi... its touch-screen is reasonable to use; but telephones... telephones are for talking ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Somewhere along the line, people forgot that! I find it amusing to watch people texting back and forth -- and staring at the screen each time they hit SEND in anticipation of the expected reply!

*Call* the other party, exchange a few words and be *done* with it!

The big (sole?) advantage of SMS, email, etc. is the ability to shift, in time, portions of the "conversation" (so both parties need not be "available" at the same instant in time -- as would be required for a voice conversation) *and* to provide documentation as to the content of the exchange.

If you're "texting back and forth", the time shifting aspect is immaterial. And, I suspect (99.837446% of the time), documenting the exchange is equally unimportant! You've saved no time (cuz you're ACTIVELY waiting for the reply) and gained no convenience.

Reply to
Don Y

Dumb error by Clorox. Dimethicone is a silicone, not a silica. I didn't think Clorox was dumb enough to add an abrasive that can scratch glass into a glass cleaner. The description also doesn't sound like an abrasive: Dimethicone/silica/PEG distearates are used mainly as defoamers, although they are also emollients, lubricants and thickeners in cleaning products. They can be used to give formulas a smooth coating, while enabling evaporation without leaving a greasy residue.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

My glasses are pretty small, too, but I'd rather not scratch either.

I think touch screens (or SS appliances, for that matter) are worth every bit of the "problems" they cause. I wouldn't be without them, on the phone (kinda hard to do), tablet, or laptop.

BTW, it's possible to make SS that doesn't show finger prints (black, too, but that's a different discussion).

Reply to
krw

Not sure what's wrong with windex sprayed on an old tshirt. works for me.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Did you try goo gone? It's amazing stuff, even better than pure d-Limonene.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That's exactly what I use if I encounter stubborn spots. Never spray directly on the monitor, just wet your soft cloth with it as you say.

Reply to
John S

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:49:30 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader Gave us:

I thought you guys said you were in electronics industry.

Tidy pen, boys.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes. I have a collection of various "removes everything" solvents. I think I tried 2 or 3 types. Nothing would touch it because it wasn't the glue that was the problem. The glue had softened the acrylic plastic which then displaced the glue. I was trying to remove acrylic plastic that looked like it was hardened glue. I've never seen that before and hope to never see it again. If I get inspired, I'll take a photo as I'm still driving around with the broken tail light, now covered with translucent red auto light repair tape (that hopefully won't do the same thing).