LCD cleaning

I was asking for a friend -- who's not keen on having to mix up an alcohol+water "mister".

Note that many people don't use their displays as "view only" devices. Some have a habit of pointing to things *on* the screen (thus oils from hands). I've also seen *pen* marks on screens (d'uh... whatever you've underlined won't be there, later!).

In refurbishing recycled monitors, you encounter stickers, asset tags, post-it notes, cellophane taped "stuff", etc. on the display surface of monitors. The worst, by far, is masking tape that has been there WAY too long. Getting off the residue is a significant accomplishment!

[Don't try this at home]
Reply to
Don Y

And white-out if you have to deal with blondes. ;-) Seriously, people pointing at stuff on my screen and touching the screen **right where I have to look** with their greasy oily little fingers is a pet hate.

They must use really cheap horse hoof glue on paper masking tape - there are modern temporary adhesives that are so much better (eg. post-it notes).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Yes. As was the decision to use everclear to make my own "extracts" instead of paying the exorbitant prices at the grocery store (if you bake *seldom*, the price penalty is small; if you bake *often*, you start to grumble at the price of all the "repackaged alcohol" that you are buying!)

Reply to
Don Y

Isopropyl alcohol almost never has oil added but all non-drinkable alcohols may have bitter flavors added to them. It varies by brand and checking is as easy as letting a drop evaporate on glass.

The other problem with pure alcohol is that it tends to dissolve a bit too much, like skin oils and metal oxides, and deposit them to the glass. Adding a bit of mineral free water can make it a lot more practical for cleaning outside a laboratory.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.

Exactly. Use the mouse. There is a reason that they *call* it a POINTING DEVICE!!

Touchscreen in the car is another annoyance. Perpetually trying to clean fingerprints off it (which make it harder to read in certain light).

I think the mantra re: masking tape is that it should only be used as a TEMPORARY measure. Let it dry out (or get BAKED on) and you'll never get the last bits off without mechanical intervention!

Reply to
Don Y

yep, lots of people make the mistake of leaving the tape on for a few days when painting windows

you can get UV resistant masking tape that won't baked on

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The blue masking tape doesn't harden, but costs 3 times as much.

I managed to find a new way to destroy something with tape. Someone bashed in the red tail light on my car in the parking lot. I didn't have time to deal with it, so I taped up the crack and hole with clear cellophane packing tape. (It was raining). I then forgot about it for about 6 months. The tape came off easily enough, but the glue remained attached to the red tail light lens. I attacked the glue with every solvent that I could find that didn't also attack the acrylic plastic. I eventually determined that the solvent in the packing tape glue had softened the plastic which then displaced the glue. I'll eventually patch it back together and buff it smooth, but the solvent action of the adhesive was rather a surprise. I can only imagine what packing tape will do to a plastic film coated LCD screen.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

They use a static clingy (soft) polyethylene film for keeping abrasion marks off the screens in shipping. No adhesive at all, I believe.

The ultra-clear Staples packing tape (they seem to have changed suppliers it may not be currently available) has kind of a pleasant fruity smell. Probably some cocktail of carcinogenic chemicals.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Ethyl acetate smells like that, and is pretty benign.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Methyl ethyl ketone smells like banana oil ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Yep. Static cling works. No glues and no solvents means no problems.

That's a sticky subject. Whatever you're smelling is probably a perfume intended to cover up a noxious chemical stench. My guess(tm) would be either acetic acid (vinegar) or some kind of animal byproduct the rots on the roll: (Drivel: I spent a short time working for a manufacturer of industrial flavors and fragrances). Premature solvent evaporation is why old rolls of tape tend to get stuck to adjacent layer of backing.

The idea behind pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) is that the glue has to remain tacky on the roll so that it can unrolled without sticking, but then harden when attached to a cardboard box after the protective solvent has evaporated.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

AIUI, methanol is no longer used as a denaturant. It tends to blind and kill people rather than dissuading them from drinking it. Acetone and similar things are used to make it taste bad. Wiki says they also use something called "Denatonium", which makes it very bitter.

Yet the Democrats just love the death-tax. Of course there isn't a tax that they don't love.

Reply to
krw

I point at my displays all the time. How else do you use a touch screen? ;-)

Goo Gone?

Reply to
krw

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 18:32:09 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Please refrain from talking about Jim Thompson.

It is bad enough his stench smells like some old fogey's wafting underwear and he waves it around the group.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Wouldn't matter for *me* -- I'd never put tape on an LCD *screen*!

And, I have no influence over what *other* folks choose to STICK on their equipment. :<

You can actually get off even the 2" wide tape -- if you are immensely patient. OTOH, I sure wouldn't want anyone sticking a piece of it on any of *my* screens!

Reply to
Don Y

So, my "100 proof" mixture is spot on! :> Now, to see if I can find someone who sells it -- without "embelishments"...

Reply to
Don Y

I originally meant to post this as a joke, but just realized that it seems to fit your requirements. Just 50/50 ethanol/water for $25/jar (ouch): Maybe add a few drops of a surfactant (Photo-Flo) to prevent water spots. Puts the fun back into LCD cleaning. Unfortunately, I predict that the jar won't last very long.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Joke.. I often tear it with teeth. It's described as acrylate odor, though I've not been able to find a real MSDS.. adhesives seem to be closely held trade secrets.

Some Taiwanese executives got caught up around 10 years ago in an "espionage" deal by hiring as a 'consultant' a fellow who had worked for Avery.. they ended up not being really punished as they headed home to Taiwan and they can't likely be extradited for something that's not a crime in their own country (pretty much accepted business practices). The payment was a modest fee, ~$25K made out to a family member of the mole.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

"Proprietary polymers"... makes me think of products like "Armor All" and *that* outcome! :<

Reply to
Don Y

I don't smoke and I have a relatively clean work area. Other than having a bit of oil on my fingers, my hands are usually clean.

As a result, I had not considered all those harsh environments. Sorry I spoke (typed? up.

Reply to
John S