Cleaning LCD screen

The grandbrats have been wiping their sticky paws on our Philips LCD TV screen. Wiping it with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth and then drying with another has left streaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can get the screen really streak-free and clean again?

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Reply to
Peter Twydell

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:48:26 +0000, Peter Twydell Has Frothed:

I've been using a window cleaner (sprayed on the cloth only) on my flat panel monitors for years.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I've never had a problem using windex and paper towels on LCD screens. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

They recommend NOT using glass cleaners and NOT using paper towels. A 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol along with a micro-fiber cloth are recommended. Do not apply the liquid directly to the screen.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Reply to
Rob Mills

It's the ammonia in glass cleaners that's the problem.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Also, some paper towels can create scratches when wiping some surfaces.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

In message , Peter Twydell writes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look around and try to find an IPA-based product.

BTW, Windex appears to be a left-pondian product, unavailable here AFAIK. Is there a UK equivalent?

--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Reply to
Peter Twydell

I'm assuming that this method would also apply to DLP based rear projection TVs?

Reply to
Mark

Peter,

I use a soft tissue moistened with 'Windowlene' spray on my TFT screens and it has never damaged one yet. It may take you a couple of goes to get all the sticky marks off and shift all the smears but it does work well. I wet the tissue for badly contaminated screens, but never drench it so much the liquid can run into the display surround.

Never use kitchen towels though- they can and do cause scratching! Use the softest tissues you can find, or a soft cotton cloth. Don't push firmly as LCD screens are easy to crack!

Morse

Reply to
Morse

I used Windowlene on my Mitsubishi CRT monitor and the anti reflective coating started to come off! Ooops!

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

and

Had the same problem with my last CRT, even though had been using Windex(ammonia) for years on other monitors. Once you see a problem it's too late.

Since starting to use LCD monitors have been using individually wrapped 3M notebook screen wipes. Seemed expensive when buying them but flat panels don't attract nearly as much crap as a CRTs with it's high voltage. One does a TV and 3 monitors . Use < 4 wipes a year. Way less than $1 a year.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

Ouch! AR coating can detach itself for reasons other than solvent damage though, I inherited some Sony 300SF monitors from a company which I know used proper wipes to clean them, and one had signs of coating damage. I understand the coating can be removed completely on some monitors if it starts to flake.

Morse

Reply to
Morse

Well, One day I`ll strip the lot off - when I get a round tuit - It`s a lot brighter where the coating is missing, luckily just in one lower corner

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

yeh, paper towels can be loaded with micro fine chunks of any kind of abrasion material. wire, process machine wear debris, and worse yet, sand and grit from factory process locations.

many 'green' products fomulated from recycled paper from god knows wherever, may contain unknowns also

i use nice old soft and well used face cloths that have been through laundry enough times to make them really fluffy and absorbent when dry.

have used that orange grease cutting cleaner concentrate in a 1oz to a spray container (abt 32 oz?) of filtered h2O as my cleaning solvent. claims to have no caustic or other elements. and has worked well for last 6 yrs. fingerprints with food grease and skin oils are misery., but disssaper with this.

static is always a problem, but a plain fine soft 12 inche cleaning handbrush takes most of that dust off in a few swipes.

old real glass used for older units will fare better, but the newer units with composite acrylic and newer polymer specialty coverings demand special care. follow the manufactureres recs for the new ones.

Reply to
<hapticz