Larkin, Here's mine...

The lady who did most of our CAD layout at Microdyne couldn't get the 'IT'iots to give her a good mouse, or mouse pad. They claimed that the cheap crap they gave everyone else was 'Good enough'. The mouse was failing and giving multiple outputs for a single click and the mouse pads were leftover ad material from trade shows that was too thin & had a slick surface. I had bought a dozen pads from a dollar store with space themes, so I let her take her pick. Somehow, her bad mouse ended up in the IT office and the mouse for their new desktop was missing. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

software

er Science

rogramming

w a guy

ular

ronics

t as

it of

ia

ore

idge

.

I'm not above a bit of it myself, but one doesn't want to amke a habit of it. I've persisted in this thread in the faint hope of scoring a generic VBIC model of a bipolar transistor from Jim Thompson, but I should have known better.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

[...]

Well telling him "he lost it years ago" probably didn't do you any favours there :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

We just had our end-of-FY toy buying binge. I was running around yelling at people to buy stuff. I had some success: a 6 GHz 4-channel scope, a really cool BGA inspection optical thing, an n/c machining center, and a lot of whiteboard markers.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There must, by now, be robotic drone killers up there looking for enemy UAVs. We can all sit in sports bars, drinking beer and munching garlic fries, and watch the next war on wide-screen TVs.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Agreed. PDF-XChange looks better on the screen. I had a problem reading magazines and newsletters that arrive as PDF files. Older HomePower Magazine issues were the worst. No matter which reader I would use, it looked awful on a 1280x1024 screen. I was getting headaches and tears trying to read more than about 15 minutes with the hideous rendering. So, I tried various PDF viewers and found that PDF-XChange looked the best. Acrobat Reader 10 was 2nd best followed by Foxit. There were several (names forgotten) which were totally hideous and were immediately discarded. Acrobat Reader would constantly hang, so that was out. However, PDF-XChange had the irritating habit of conflicting with other PDF installed viewers. I have Acrobat Creator 7 installed which came with an overpriced Fujitsu scanner. PDF-XChange trashed the installation, so I discarded it. This may have been fixed by now, but I don't want to retest.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Slowman, being a "PhD" (*), should be able to roll his own, shouldn't he ?>:-}

Hell will freeze over before I provide him with such a model.

A major discrete manufacturer now provides such a model, though somewhat neutered, but I'll not tell who they are... let Slowman surf forever.

IBM and Lucent foundries provided such models (to authorized users), back in the days where I had to cope with TTL output stages.

(*) "PhD" == Shit "Piled High and Deep" ...Jim Thompson

"Pathetic & Highly Depressing"

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Actually shouldn't it be "Piled Horrendously Deep" ? ...Jim Thompson

You've read enough of his posts to know that I'm right.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I thought your description more apt for John "NOLA White Trash" Larkin

...Jim Thompson

Theoretically. I've thought about it - briefly - and decided that I've already got an adequate collection of projects that I've not got around to finishing.

Always the most probable reaction - this is the guy who boasted of reporting me to the FBI as "dangerously anti-American", which would have wrecked his own credibility with them (if he'd had any in the first place, which seems unlikely).

Which means that Fred Bloggs probably knows who they are ...

That is the problem. VBIC models of real parts are treated as "commercial-in-confidence" revelations of how the manufacturers actually build them, which is inconvenient if you just want to play with the model.

The process of getting a Ph.D. definitely involves doing a lot of grunt work. When I needed a pair of silica windows for my Ph.D. project, my supervisor gave me a small sheet of rough-surfaced cast silica and told me to turn them into windows myself. It took a fortnight - a day or so to read up on cutting silica (with copper wire in a hacksaw frame and some silicon carbide paste) and polishing it (with progressively finer grades of carbide paste, finishing with cerium oxide (which works better than jewellers rouge) and the rest of the time doing the manual labour. They would have been expensive windows, if he'd been paying for my time, but the Australian Government Commonwealth Research Grant did that.

I then wasted nearly a year trying to realise his proposed scheme for following the chemical reaction whose rate I was supposed to measure before I decide that it couldn't work and ended getting access to the Chemistry Departments half-share of the PDP-8 over in the Physiology Department. I guess I eventually found the pony, but it took a while.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Mike Terrell has a comprehension problem. Jim knows enough to be aware that I mostly know what I'm talking about, though he rarely likes what I have to say.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The Russians (at least once upon a time) were quite expert at control theory. All my non-linear control texts are all about Lyopunov, etc. ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

I only take issue with your snarkiness... not usually with your information content.

But being an asshole negates all other content >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I have no problem comprehending Sloman's place in the universe. He's entering a black hole, but not soon enough for the rest of mankind.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

NASA could do it, with newer computers. Are they still looking for IBM 360 parts for the junk CONgress wouldn't let them replace?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As Jim demonstrates more or less non-stop.

Mike Terrell's "comprehension" would look like simple lunacy to anybody with a brain that still works. The nearest black hole that we know about

is about 6000 light years away, and we are all being sucked into it, but at the same rate, and very slowly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

brain that still works. The nearest black hole that we know about

same rate, and very slowly.

Does anyone give a flying "F" where the closest black hole is?

I thought you were going to knock off the snarkiness ??

Or shall I knock you off? ...Jim Thompson

re

at

's

with a brain that still works. The nearest black hole that we know about

at > >the same rate, and very slowly.

Mike Terrell seems to, in so far as he thinks that I'm falling into one.

I undertook to reduce it, if you knocked off the criminal psychopathology. You don't seem to be delivering your part of the bargain.

That seems to constitute a death threat, which is criminal behaviour in mos t countries. Presumably the Arizona police won't bother to prosecute, on th e grounds that you are a more or less harmless nutcase - which is to say yo u haven't yet been caught practicing criminal psychopathology where your co ps pay attention.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to