Japan confirms first cases of mu coronavirus variant (2023 Update)

But in a statement released Tuesday, the WHO warned that the variant “has a constellation of mutations that indicate potential properties of immune escape.” This means that vaccines or antibody treatments may not work as well against the mu strain as they do against the original version of the coronavirus.

In its weekly pandemic bulletin, the WHO added that preliminary data showed reduced effectiveness of vaccines against mu similar to that seen for the beta variant, which was discovered in South Africa and is considered to be more contagious than the original coronavirus.

There's nothing to prevent people from being infected with multiple strains simultaneously. You can assume all the variants will eventually blend by recombination into even worse variants.

Fred Bloggs

Wow, just like Hollywood comes up with movie sequels.

Reply to
bitrex

Alternatively, if denied enough opportunities to replicate, may mutate to a less "noticeable" variant to ensure its survival among a population that dropped the hammer, hard, on its more virulent forms.

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y snipped-for-privacy@foo.invalid wrote in news:sgtta1$7mo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Less noticable? Sorry, but those brains they ain't got.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It would be a hybrid variant.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Am 03.09.21 um 23:16 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

No. The "The µ variant"

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Oh, yes there IS something to prevent it (or at least make it unlikely); the immune response to the first infection will have at least SOME effect on later ones. Since we're talking about overlapping multiple infections, there's definitely no 'decay' of the first immune response when confronting the second microbe to arrive.

Reply to
whit3rd

That has actually happened with some viruses, but it's usually in a setting where people are being treated with antiviral medication. Less virulent means smaller replication rate, so I don't see that weaker virus surviving in host with a high replication rate strain. Then the basic chemistry of going after ACE2 receptors is unlikely to change. Any new emerging virus will be a top dog of existing viruses. So that means they will only be worse.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

This is why they want to keep people boosted. A very rough statistic is that people totally naive with respect to the virus, no prior exposure of any kind, take a full two weeks to start mounting an effective response. Vaccinated people in a dormant immune state, meaning it's been long enough for immune activation and antibody titers to relax, typically mount an effective response in 96 hours. I can't find any published data yet, but I'm guessing a boosted person with a fully activated immunity, even though not specific to the variant, will start producing an effective response specific to the variant in under 48 hours. The body stops producing antibodies for the old strain and changes over to antibodies that attack the variant. These numbers will apply to reasonably healthy people under age 55. All bets are off when you get older and sicker. For those older and sicker people they have the mABs to fall back on in the meantime.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Interesting as "µ" is pronounced "mee" -- "The me variant"? But, never a "you" variant!

Reply to
Don Y

Or it could just be wiped out if we vaccinate enough people and take effective measures to contain the spread. But that's not so likely as we have too many who promote defiance of efforts to limit the spread of the virus for no particular reason.

There is no pressure on this virus for a less virulent form. That would require separate testing for the different forms and a lot of ignorance on the part of anyone involved in the decision making process. All variants of the virus continue to mutate. If we allowed a less virulent form to roam wild it would continue to mutate to more virulent forms. I think it is hard to make a vaccine that only works against the more virulent forms, so they all get whacked. It's a pretty silly notion that we can fight only the more virulent forms somehow.

Reply to
Rick C

Replication *rate* doesn't necessarily factor into it.

If the virus doesn't "make itself known" to the host, then it will likely not be treated and, thus, able to replicate. Such a strain could replicate rapidly and STILL not be acted against.

E.g., Do you know your HPV status? What motivation do you have to check it? So, you're potentially a silent carrier.

Likewise, if asymptomatic with covid, you'll likely not bother getting checked or treated. Yet, can still be infectious.

Strains that manifest with "bothersome" symptoms will drive their hosts to seek treatment. At the extreme, society will quarantine those people and, thus, deny that *strain* an opportunity to reproduce.

Reply to
Don Y

Anybody wanna guess when the Andromeda strain is due?

Reply to
John S

Except our most effective methods are to PREVENT infection by distancing, masks, vaccines, etc. Even if a strain produces no symptoms as a rule rather than the exception (not likely actually simply by the nature of the disease) spreading would still be prevented by the methods we use against all of Covid. Only quarantine would be different.

This is no different from the fact that even vaccinated people can catch and spread the disease and is a great reason why we need to keep up our efforts of distancing and masks. I visited my brother last week and he said in Maryland they had removed the requirement of wearing masks indoors, in public if you were quarantined. What idiots!

We are a year and a half into this pandemic and governments continue to believe we can take halfway measures against this disease. We have morons leading us and we are morons for following them.

Reply to
Rick C