Isolated variable resistor function?

Bell Labs invented them back in 1936 to get a more reliable relay for use in the telephone system, and they worked pretty reliably for them for many years.

Properly used, a dry reed switch is good for about 10^7 operations. A mercury-wetted reed lasts about ten times as long.

If you haven't found them to be reliable, you probably haven't been taking enough care to prevent arcing across the contacts

Mercury-wetted reeds don't twang or bounce.

You can buy "sub-minature reeds", but they need bigger magnetic fields to work.

Latching reed relays are pretty good on thermal EMFs too. If you don't have to keep on running current through the coil to keep them closer, you don't have the thermal gradients that generate the thermocouple voltages in the first place.

In what sort of volume?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It was. It was the first thing that Joerg though of, and he spelt out why it wasn't a good solution for his problem in his original post.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I've seen data sheet claims of 1e9 cycles. In practise, they sometimes stick closed, or make hi-z closures. The physics is bad: no wiping action, possibility of residual magnetism latching them closed, metalurgical bonding sticking contacts closed, magnetic interaction with adjacent relays. I suspect that getting the reeds exactly aligned, as molten glass cools and hardens, is a trickly production challenge.

No, I've mostly used them in signal-level applications, not power switching.

They don't bounce, but they do twang. By "twang" I mean a sustained mechanical ringdown that generates contact voltage in the magnetic field of the coil. Lasts many milliseconds. It's hell in low-level multiplexing.

Uh, mercury is illegal now.

Reeds really suck.

A Fujitsu DPDT is smaller and cheaper and more reliable than a SPST reed.

I recall that reeds have thermals even with zero coil power. Each end of the reed has a thermocouple to the package leads or copper PCB traces, and they are far apart. I recall measuring microvolts from small local PCB thermal gradients. The reed metal seems to have a big thermal potential against copper.

Reeds suck.

We probably buy them a few hundred, sometimes 1000, at a time.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

assembly starts around 4:30

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Bounces? On reeds? I've never seen that happen. Is there a certain series of bad applas we should all avoid?

I was just going to place these reeds into a design where I have to artificially "press" the buttons of some gizmo and the currents are microamps, so no big relays possible because of a lack of wetting current:

Well, if they had gold contacts maybe a bigger one would work. But reeds are nice because their contacts are naturally encapsulated.

If gold-contacts, which kind?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I thought of those but dismissed them because they become really non-linear past +/-30mV or so.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

use

,

s.

m,

If you've abused the contacts. If the telephone system used them in millions and found them reliable, it would seem that you are doing something wrong.

But one that was solved a long time ago. You can dream up explanations of why your relays failed for reasons that don't involve you screwing up, but don't expect anybody to take you seriously.

So you haven't been deliberately putting a lot of current through them

- that you know about - but if you haven't got your grounding right, and you ground a subsystem whenever you close a relay you may have been doing it accidentally and unintentionally. Sadly, the relay contacts don't care about intentions.

They shouldn't. The film of liquid mercury between the two contacts should damp any mechanical movement between them, and pretty rapidly too. Mercury isn't all that viscous, but the film is pretty thin.

Releasing it into the environment is frowned on. Inside a hermetically sealed reed it's fine.

In unskilled hands.

In your hands. Do you actually know what's inside the package that you buy?

It certainly does. The nickel-iron alloy used make the reed generates something like 50uV/C - IIRR - against copper, It pays to spread a lot of copper ground plane around the area to minimise any thermal gradients.

In unskilled hands.

Got an exact part number? Or a DigiKey stock number? "Fujistu DPDT relay" is a bit unspecific, but since you don't concoct your own parts lists, you may not have noticed.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

They do have some inductance, 10 nH-ish, but the capacitance across the open contacts is very much lower than in FET analogue switches. I think the ones John uses (FTR-B3 series, as he says above) are pretty nice parts. I'd love to be able to get MEMS relays built on some technology like the TI micromirrors.

The thermal problem with reeds is made much worse by the high coil dissipation--there's no iron in the magnetic circuit, other than the reeds themselves.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You are, as usual, being an obnoxious ass, going personal/insulting in a technical discussion, and pretending to be an authority on things you have no experience with.

I've used thens of thousands of reeds and ditto the little Fujitsu-type telecom relays. The telecoms are better in every respect. I won't use reed relays any more.

Next time you design a volume-production product, use reeds. Get back to us on how they work.

Now you are making things up. Why would a thin film of mercury, between closed contacts, damp a mechanical vibration if the reed structure?

I can't use a mercury relay in an ROHS product. They look to be super-expensive anyhow.

Fathead. What have your hands done lately? Added another turn to your oscillator transformer?

I told you they were the FTR-B3G series. Two that we stock are

FUJITSU FTR-B3GB4.5Z-B10 DPDT SMT 30V 1A 4.5V LATCH OMRON G6KU-2F-Y-DC5

FUJITSU FTR-B3GA4.5Z DPDT SMT 30V 1A 4.5V OMRON G6K-2G-Y-DC5

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Every non-mercury em relay that I've ever tested has bounced. Reeds are especially bad; they may close in half a millisecond, then blip open in random patterns for a couple of milliseconds until the vibrations settle down.

Typically looks like this:

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Authorized=no"

I'd have to buy the silly thing to see if it's worth reading.

I used to subscribe to RSI. It wasn't worth it. I downloaded maybe 20 interesting papers from the last 30 years or so, but never actually used them for anything.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thanks, interesting. I have never seen any relay behaving this badly. Bounce, yes, but only 1-2 times. Never on reeds.

Have to measure some that I've got here. But right know half the world seems to dump their switch mode converter designs on me, so no time. Switchers are fun but it's like eating tomatoes all month :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hey, it's infinitely better than sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

rvisory

.

owed by

d the

oks.

e the

t lots

Or go to a university library near you to read it in the bound journal.

Don't bother buying it. 1968 is a long time ago, and subsequent authors - including me - have adapted the message for people who don't work for one or other national bureau of standards. But it was ground- breaking in its time.

Because you didn't learn enough at university to be in a position to fully understand or exploit them?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman
[...]

Thanks for the hint. Since I am doing a design with relays right now I checked. Couldn't find the Fujitsu at Digikey but found the 12V through-hole version (which I need) from Omron:

Two bucks fifty, ouch. 2x of what the reeds cost. If you say it's worth the extra money I'll plop these into the BOM instead of the reeds.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The closest thing I've seen to a useful instruments-journal paper was one by a Danish guy called Lars Bager, back in about 1990. He had this idea to minimize mode hopping in diode lasers by dithering the bias current, detecting the medium frequency noise power from the monitor photodiode, putting that signal into a lock-in, and using an integrating servo in the usual way to find the minimum.

I built that into one of my gizmos back in the day, but never wound up using it because it wasn't reliable enough for ship in a product.

There are papers about instrument construction that are far, far above RSI and JoP E, e.g. most of the collected works of R. V. Jones, but they don't go in the instrument ghettos^H^H^H^H^H^H^H journals.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We're paying $1.38 average for the non-latch version, $1.80 for latching. Both surface mount.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

$1.22 in hundreds from Arrow at the moment:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've tried that with polarization hops. But same thing, it only worked as long as there was no earthquake within 5000 miles and nobody sneezed. And not when there was a full moon or a black cat crossed the street.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

supervisory

by

lots

I always found the idea of an advanced degree, or an academic career, to be repulsive. I got a BSEE because that's what engineers are expected to have. I'm a circuit designer. They don't teach that anyhow.

The papers I loaded from RSI and some other journals had to do mostly with tomographic atom probes and delay line detectors and microchannel plates and FTMS. We actually did a fair amount of work in those areas, with minimal commercial success. We were working with scientists who spun out of universities and started companies. Those things tend to go badly.

I can go over to the UC Medical research facility in Mission Bay, not far away. I can access a mess of journals and print articles for 50 cents per sheet. But that's still a hassle. The food over there isn't all that good either. BARTing to UC Berkeley is another possibility, bigger hassle. It's easiest to hire some grad-school grunt, who has student access, to download papers.