resistor color code help

Howdy all I have a resistor on a front panel tv control that has a 5 band color code of brn-blu-red-gold-grn. This resistor is not burnt but measures 1.62K ohms. from the color code I would suspect 16.2 ohms. If I replace the 1.62k with a 16.2 the set will not power on. If I put the

1.62k back in set powers and then shuts down after 5 seconds. There are many posts that identify the front panel cb as the culprit.(circuit board is no longer available from RCA). There are 4 or 5 resistors and 6 tact switches, and one cap on this board. this resistor is the only component in the circuit with the on/off tact switch. My main confusion is the color code and value of this resistor, am I missing something???

Gary

Reply to
Gary Woodruff

It has 3 significant digits instead of 2 and the final value band is the number of 0's.

A good example of scaling is: a brown/black/orange is 10k - brown/black/black/orange is 100k.

Faulty resistors in low power circuits are rare - are there any electrolytics on that board?

Reply to
ian field

Ian , thanks. The band in question is the 4th gold band the multiplier. Gold will give me a value of 16.2 ohms, however the resistor measures

1.62K ohms. I would expect the multiplier to be brn to get the 1.62k that the resistor actually measures??

ian field wrote:

Reply to
Gary Woodruff

I'd say the value is 1.6K, 5%. The final green band may be a temperature code.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

You will get flamed if you keep on top posting.

Reply to
ian field

Gary Woodruff wrote in news:BDNRn.99681$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.iad:

That code confuses me. It's not burned, you say, but are you certain it hasn't been strongly heated? I've seen some paints on resistor bands get permanently changed in colour on some resistors that otherwise show no signs of significant overheating. In one case a brown or black ended up looking metallic so look closely at any gold or silver bands..

In this case all that might not apply, but it often does. But if you found no damage from trying a 1R6 where a 1K6 seems called for, I doubt in either case there is a current capable of heating much. It suggests you might be able to safely try any of a very wide range of resistances to see if one works right.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

WOw, you are the first the get it correct.

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks to Peter Bennett. I concur it is a 4 band resistor with a fifth temp band. The resister is in a low power circuit and has no sign of damage or overheating.

Gary Woodruff wrote:

Reply to
Gary Woodruff

It seems that there is something else wrong. Sounds like there is a protection circuit that is turning off the power to the board. Or something is drawing too much current so it is being shut down. leaky capacitor? bad voltage regulator? color code brown =1 , blue=6 , red= 2 zeros , 1600 ohms. 4th band gold =5%, silver=10% I believe Ben.

Reply to
BEN

You are responding to a four year old post (15 Jun 2010), such a waste of effort when you are trying nicely to help people!

Find out about direct access to usenet newsgroups via a newsreader, not using a web browser.

offer free accounts as do many others.

--
Adrian C
Reply to