Isolated variable resistor function?

estate.

voltage).

If an RF mixer had 5% nonlinearity it would have a really lousy intermodulation performance.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

modulation.

has

;-)

Bog standard? Not really. Not at that power level. It's all in the tuning.

Reply to
krw

Cost

is

network to gate.

As long as the processor is already there, tell them to stop whining. It's a SMOP and takes no resources. Even the validation is a piece of cake.

Reply to
krw

Is current flow in the resistor unidirectional... doesn't pass thru zero? ...Jim Thompson

Cost

is

network to gate.

No they won't. They'll think they're being useful ;-) ...Jim Thompson

modulation.

He he, right now I have one (OK not boost) running 30W@27MHz. circa 90% efficiency and passing EMC tests with flying colors (30dB margin first pass :-) The power Xtor is SMD, under a buck. The customer's designer is so p.....-..f (but he can't tell :-) that he insists on me reverting to an RF power Mosfet with all the implied mess, which I won't...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

modulation.

though.

has

;-)

an

At 400W? Not a big deal there to get to 500kHz if you keep switching losses in check.

For a ZVS, yes, definitely. But you can usually only tune that for the upper ranges.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

modulation.

has

;-)

Sure, one of the other engineers wants to go to a TO-220 but that scares the crap outta me and the cost of mounting eight of them isn't trivial either. The part I'm using (TI) is pretty good and well under a buck (at half-million ;-).

Reply to
krw

I ordered a couple of samples, just 'cause. I didn't know about Timer D until a few days ago, anyway. Curious about playing with it. I have a need to create tiny "runt" pulses in a signal and this might be usefully fast enough.

I need to check pricing. A fast PWM makes some things cheaper (such as living with an RC filter with sloppy 20db/decade rolloff) but if it costs a lot more then you lose the price benefit. There are a lot of ways of doing things.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

If that's like what they were doing on their 28F3xx DSP parts several years ago, it's a regular ol' PWM followed by a variable time delay.

Which isn't to say that it's not a good idea, or an eminently workable one.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If it's for a voltage divider, what about a multiplying DAC? You'd still need the two wires to talk to it, but you could make whatever $$ vs. precision tradeoff your heart desired.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Running on the loophole frequency of 27.12MHz? It's been a long time but IIRC my highest resonant one was "only" 13.56MHz and on those frequencies it is very easy to pass EMC.

I wouldn't either, those RF FETs cost a ton and many don't come with SPICE models. Which is a big no-no for me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, unidirectional. Goes to zero at times but never crosses onto negative turf.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Wot's a SMOP?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

I thought about a DAC of the old kind, with the switched and accessible R2R array in there. In essence that's almost the same as using a digital potmeter except it has better granularity. 6 bits would be plenty here though and digipots come in SOT23-5 and sometimes smaller.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Simple Matter of Programming. From the IBMJARG file:

SMOP n. Something quite possible, but requiring unavailable resources to achieve. "Why isn't that function available in the program?--It's just a Simple Matter Of Programming". (The implication being that, given a few person-centuries, all things are possible.) Also _SMOUP_ (smoop), a Simple Matter Of Micro-Programming (if hand-written, using a Greek mu).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nope... No loophole there. It has to pass A class levels

Well, at these frequencies others spice models, mostly "designed" for SMPS are such a joke...

I had to do fire up the VNA, curve tracer,... and run my own one.

The hardest part was to find suitable air inductor makers in small quantities. I've seen quite a bit of horror stories there.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

in

It seems likely to be a PLL multiplier, given my ignorance. As in what Atmel does for some parts, too. It only supports two integers (8 and 16) and that's pretty easy to do, as I understand things. (I think TI acquired Nat Semi (2011) and if so they got access to a VCO/PLL ranging up to 4GHz, too. Might not be just a coincidence here.) But you'd know better than I.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

hehe. "than me." Darned dative case.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Not necessarily. I know what they did on one part years ago, but I haven't looked recently -- maybe they have figured out a clean way to do this that involves an oscillator running at 256MHz. It'd certainly solve a bunch of problems with variable time delays, even as it introduced a bunch of other ones.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott