Is somthing going on with China?

I was poking about for various economic data and found this:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:T2i5KF7eCt0J:

Sure makes me mind itch.

Reply to
JosephKK

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:T2i5KF7eCt0J:

Not very timely, 2001? Whatever was going on with China then is not what is going on now. China loans us money to help keep America afloat because we don't raise enough of our own money with our lousy tax policies, so how bad could their GDP be if they have billions to bail out America?

Reply to
Bob Eld

1) As noted, very old reference.

2) If China ever has money problems, all they have to do is cash in some of the US debt they hold. . . NOTE: When linking to a Google-cached page, it is good to replace the numerical IP with "

" because

a) everyone will get the server closest to him.

b) it doesn't matter if the server at that IP drops dead; the link will still work.

(How I know: I had bookmarks that used http://66.102.7.104. That server is has since croaked.)

Reply to
JeffM

Yeah, it's all lies. Almost a generation of double-digit compound growth that is obvious to anyone who sets foot in the country... all faked.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Not necessarily. That would be like a run on the bank. This would make the rest of their dollar denominated investments (public, private debt and equity) collapse in value.

The money can't be moved without risking economic disaster for both of us. Our biggest problem (right now) is that if China wants to coerce us, they can use this as a threat. But, as time passes, their growing middle class won't tolerate having the rug pulled out from beneath the lifestyle they are becoming accustomed to.

What they can do is to threaten small, but persistent pressure on the US economy. Not enough for a collapse, but enough to keep us in some pain for decades at a time.

The ark was skippered by amateurs, the Titanic was skippered by
professionals.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

And then? If they've not borrowed money from it, and it's returning less value than the annual depreciation of the currency, what's the short-term effect? Maybe they could reduce military spending if there were fewer credible threats, and that could compensate somewhat.

Fortunately, their biggest export customer (Europe) is pretty stable these days, as is number three (Japan), and all their exports are less and less important as the domestic market begins to dominate in sector after sector.

More likely just get to a postion where they can ignore the US. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:T2i5KF7eCt0J:

I expect they are gradually converting their dollars to Euros

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:T2i5KF7eCt0J:

Yes. And to commodities.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Well shucks, i knew it weren't next minutes news. It is the structural issues brought out that got my attention.

Reply to
JosephKK

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
JosephKK

You are so lucky having been there regularly for so long. I still cannot yet afford to go there on vacation, and never had a business reason to go.

Reply to
JosephKK