What's going on at Intel?

I just spent half my morning trying to hunt down information on some allegedly-Intel parts. Apparently Intel is not in that business any more.

For example, here's an exercise: Log into digikey.com. Enter Intel Strataflash in the search box. Pick out a component and copy its Manufacturer part number to the search box on the intel.com website.

"Your search ... did not return any documents".

Intel used to be one of the best technical websites. What are they selling now?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Intel has a habit of abruptly dropping some product lines. Their rep once spent a lot of effort to get me to design Intel DRAMs into a product. Fortunately I didn't. By the time the first model got built, Intel no longer manufactured DRAMs.

Tam

Reply to
Tam

I painfully remember their 128 and 256 cell CPLDs, the first ones where power consumption was truly CMOS-like, meaning it became close to zilch at slow clocks. Wonderful products but I never used them because I had an eerie feeling about them sticking it out in the marketplace. They didn't :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

At the recent Embedded Systems Conference in San Jose, all they seemed to care about on their (huge) stand was their new Atom processor. More money in those I guess. Moore's law not only applies to chips, it applies to profit margin too I guess.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Richard Henry" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@u36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Stock certificates, reverse repo's and mortgage derivatives?? ;-))

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

snipped-for-privacy@u36g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

I wonder, is it part of their "brand refresh"?

rgoes-major-reshuffle

As near as I can tell, Otellini's accomplishemnts so far have been to move a large share of Intel's manufacturing jobs to China. His ticket for his first Intel job was an MBA, not a degree in engineering or science.

Reminds me of Carly.

Reply to
Richard Henry

They would probably quite welcome nowdays. Provided they had something like a VHDL/Verilog class design interface.

Reply to
JosephKK

I don't know much about VHDL. It was back in the DOS days and they had a really nice design suite that even an analog guy like myself could operate. Then they pulled the big chain and flushed it all down :-(

This has resulted in many of us shying away from Intel parts unless they are for mainstream PC use. Because you never know what's going to stick or for how long.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

All I can think of when I think of Intel is the 585.9999973. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A pentium with floating point error?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Yeah - the story is, they took the new generation processor after the

486, and they used it to add 100 to 486 (to get 586, get it?) and the answer came back 585.9999973 so they decided to make up a nonsense word for a name. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But the error was in a data table for the high-speed SRT division algorithm-- it couldn't possibly have affected an addition operation.

Anyway, they should be using integer math for product numbers. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany