8052 HomePage going, going...

A news bulletin concerning website changes has been freshly posted on my

8052 microcontroller HomePage at:

Get around to taking a last look at the site in the next 1-month if you can, as it will comprehensively vanish at the end of that period.

Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.

Reply to
Murray R. Van Luyn

What did China do to piss you off this bad ??

don

Reply to
don

Perhaps more to the point, why are you (the OP - not Don) so angry at people for downloading things from your website without paying? You offer them for free - payment is clearly optional. You give no indication about licenses or conditions on anything (perhaps there is information after downloading, but that's too late). When you provide downloads on a website, there are three choices - you can provide things entirely for free, you can charge for them, or you provide them for free and ask for donations. But if you take this third road, you don't get to moan at people and call them "malevolent copyright violators".

I also think it's a bit unreasonable to complain so violently about people downloading "your" stuff for free, when some of the things you want to charge for are other peoples' work that /they/ have given out for free. Adam Dunkels asks nothing for the use of his uIP software in any context - people can freely modify it and use it in commercial and non-commercial systems. And yet you want to charge people to use /his/ code. It is certainly /legal/ to charge people for his code - that's allowed by Adam's choice of licence. But it makes it hard for people to treat your moral indignation seriously.

I can well understand you want to make a little bit of money on the site to cover your costs, and that you want to be able to offer free or low cost information and software to people. But this isn't the way to do it - and insulting your visitors is the fastest way to lose them.

Reply to
David Brown

an,

Hmm... I tried, but was unable to decode the ramblings posted.

Whatever point you were trying to make, was surely lost.

Still, if it is your web site, and entirely your own content, you are free to do with it whatever you wish.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

There's probably more to the story that none of us will fully hear about. It's obvious he's angry. But it's hard to judge his responses without knowing exactly what triggered all this. I think Don's question is rightly made, though I won't expect a full answer to it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Hi David,

So, what's your background, David? What interests in the microcontroller field do you have? I found your perspective a little unexpected, and I'm very interested for you to help me please understand where it's coming from?

Regards, Murray R. Van Luyn.

Reply to
Murray R. Van Luyn

Murray,

Having read the all thread, I would like you consider some additional thoughts.

Your last post seems to be produced by a sort of automaton of the famous "Elisa" AI demo programs.

If one gets this impression pass, then another aspect surfaces: your reply sugar coated with a polite writing seems to be a disguised personal attack.

Why is David's background or interests on the field matters w.r.t. his post?

OTOH, what do you mean with "perspective a little unexpected"?

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

I have to say I completely agree with David.

Also I can't see what your problem with China is. Why are the Chinese a problem?

Chris H

HMM. THAT'S INTERESTING. CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT ADDRESSED ANY OF THE POINTS DAVID MADE?

]*

Reply to
larwe

:)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

ROTFL¹

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.
Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

[1] Just for the yucks, did you it by hand or used Emacs ;-D
Reply to
Cesar Rabak

It will still be in the archives though.

Cheers

ian

Reply to
Ian Bell