Interesting Switchcraft connector

Michael A. Terrell

Water-tight USB ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

don't know about switchcraft, but neutrik has had everything from usb to hdmi and rj45 since forever

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I love the cheap 'n flimbsy design.

It's the perfect USB connector.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

So, you've actually used it, and know why it's made the way it is? Or are you just slandering their product?

It's made to match the form factor of common XLR connectors.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

not sure where my reply to this went, but here it is again.

I can tell from looking at it that it's cheap and wimpy on the A side, plus it has some crappy gap between the shield and the connector shell. There's nothing as sturdy as some 56 guage sheet metal bent into a rectangle, supported at only one side, buried inside a housing. That will last about a good 1-2 accidental tugs on the cable before it bends out of shape.

Maybe it's a great feature. There's nothing as fun as stabbing around with USB connector trying to get it to line up in some way.

Oh wait- maybe the huge void between the A connector and the XLR shell are for a mating plug!

Wrong, switchcraft doesn't make plugs for that connector. They're just really cheap on plastic.

The must have outsourced this connector design to the people who made the PS/2 connector, or re-stolen some chinese copycat design.

The USB A connector is surprisingly stupid to start with, but switchcraft still gets a solid 2.7 out of 10 on this connector.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

And you got al this from a couple photos on Ebay?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

yes, and their website.

it's a cheap, shitty product.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Just like your mother's.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You broke out your mother jokes because switchcraft makes bullshit connectors?

That's pretty sad by any measure.

Do you work for switchcraft? did you design that piece of shit connector?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Switchcraft was a division of Raytheon's aerospace division for years. They were the best in the business for their product lines.

You're pretty sad. I take that back. You're a poor liar.

I've used & sold Switchcraft connectors since the '60s. I have 50+ year old Switchcraft connectors that are still in excellent condition, and were in use in my shop on test cables till I became disabled a few years ago.

You're the only shit, here.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

C'mon guys, why not order one each and evaluate it? Then post your opinions. That would be much better than old memories or faulty perceptions, yes? Besides, I'd love to see a professional analysis of this item on the group.

Reply to
John S

Sorry the 1950s are long over. You need to catch up.

whoah, you got me with that powerful logic.

By disabled you must mean you took a serious knock to the head.

Your vague fantasies of what switchcraft was before things went solid-state has no bearing on the fact that that connector is a phoney, piece of shit, no matter what the badge on it is.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

The shrouded connector is from mil spec chassis use. It is for tempest level shielding and or immersion protection.

The real deal is quite good quality so if this is "phoney", that's one thing, but the device from switchcraft is nice and quite functional.

Get on some mil radio sites and look at modern chassis. everything is coTS now, so you do not need a mil connector for many applications.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No, not everyone needs a neck brace to hold their head on their shoulders. Even you can do better than that.

has no bearing on the fact that

Yawn. Solid state was in use in the '60s. Want to see a schematic of a solid state 50 year old Delco car radio? I might as well drop you back in the troll pit, since it's all I ever see from you.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

has no bearing on the fact that

whooosh.

If anybody has a pit where they toss junk they might as well fill it up with those connectors.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That's complete bullshit. You can see through that connector, there's nothing sealed about it.

It awful when people assume any connector that has any threads or 4 mounting holes is either "high quality" or "mil spec".

There's loads and loads of trash connectors out there that use the general form factor of actual high end components.

I've got $20 bucks there that says you can't find the datasheet on that switchcrap connector that says it's either sealed let alone immersion rated or tempest anything. Don't play any games either. we're talking some sort of hokey USB A to B panel connector with a XLR-ish form factor as in those ebay photos.

The only radio you might see that on would be some prototype of a contractor/construction site radio with the fake rugged look like you might see at home depot that runs off cordless drill batteries.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

has no bearing on the fact that

is.

Yawn. You're boring me.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

doesn't seem like switchcraft make the matching connector,

Neutrik does a matching pair it says IP65 when combined

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen