OT: Where do I find...

A notebook-sized PC, but with no keyboard, display, or pointing device?

Keyboard, display, or pointing device would be external.

Multi-core, fairly high clock rate, etc. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Like this one?

Edward Lee

A large tablet PC with the touchscreen turned off in the setup?

What one client used (but they needed a little smaller than notebook, more like a netbook) was a netbook where the screen swiveled and could be flipped completely over. Meaning it came to rest and could be clicked in place on the "underside" of the netbook. Then the whole thing was fastened to the machine. That way nobody could mess with keyboard or pointing device because those were now facing the steel panel of the machine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I want four of them on a KVMP switch ;-)

[snip] ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

    ...Jim Thompson

That what i got, except with stylus rather than touch. A 12" convertible Fujitsu T2010. 1.2G Core 2 Duo is fast enough for most apps. 7 hours battery time is better than most laptop.

Reply to
Edward Lee

      ...Jim Thompson

The Unicorn SBC should work. We want them for web servers.

Reply to
Edward Lee

      ...Jim Thompson

so what you want it really desktop in a small form factor?

notebook is an odd size, I'd think mini-itx is the norm

random google:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks, Lasse! I just didn't know the current lingo ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

VIA produce motherboards in a variety of small form factors (mini-ITX=170x170mm, nano-ITX=120x120mm, pico-ITX=100x72mm). Although these aim for a small footprint, they're less concerned about height (complete systems are typically "set-top box" or "modem/router" size, rather than "notebook" size).

Small motherboards are normally aimed at passively-cooled systems, so getting desktop-level performance could be a problem.

Reply to
Nobody

Fanless Industrial PCs

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Are you trying to build a cluster for some parallel computing task?

Reply to
David Eather

Look for Mini-ITX stuff. Some times dubbed 'fan-less PC' or Kiosk PC Check these guys out

KVM ? why not VNC?

Martin Riddle

I like the fact that the external PSU allows you to power it from a huge battery with no inverter. You can get a monitor with the same 12VDC power.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

Check out Intel's NUC.

JW

Jim, You may want to consider the Intel NUC (Next Unit of Computing) module. Price is right and it comes in a nice little box with an external brick power supply. NewEgg has then for $299.

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael Karas

Take a look at nettop computers, usually set up to be media center computers...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

      ...Jim Thompson

Any x86 SBC would do, with or without enclosures. We want a bunch of them sharing a single power supply and booting off flash drives. They would NFS to a big hard drive for main storage. I have a Core 2 Duo netbook to build the image, than load them on the flash drives. That's why i am looking into Core 2 Duo SBC. Core 2 is good enough for now. Haswell will blow ARM out of the water.. Flame started...

I prefer to keep one set of binary for all PCs and servers. Just don't want to bother with porting to ARM.

Reply to
Edward Lee

Looks promising: 16 ARM cores at 2+ GHz.

 Click to see the full signature

        ...Jim Thompson
.

Yes, AMD/ARM serve its purpose to keep Intel arrogance in check. Intel could have low power x86 decades ago. Without ARM, it probably would never happen. But now, we are close to having Haswell. It would make life much easier with single binary on Linux PC and servers.

Reply to
Edward Lee

Intel has tried three times, that I know of, to invent an architecture to replace x86, all failures. x86 was barbaric 20 years ago, and Intel must know it. I don't understand why Intel gave up their ARM license; that was probably a political decision.

Intel's real strengths are semiconductor process and ruthlessness. They are starting to accept foundry business to capitalize on the process part.

AMD has good processes, too. AMD+ARM will be fun to watch.

People like Amazon and Google could roll their own ARM server chips; maybe they are already.

 Click to see the full signature