insane

"outward velocity" equals "inward velocity"? ...and you think I don't know what I'm talking about?

Bullsht. If it were "hanging", it wouldn't for long because gravity goes on forever. If it's reached escape velocity it will *always* have a velocity out of the gravity well because it has an acceleration towards it. IOW, it's gone forever.

You're absolutely wrong.

Reply to
krw

Doesn't matter. I can't blow that hard in either case.

--

Rick
Reply to

That's not right. If you are in orbit, you have *not* achieved escape velocity. Escape velocity is the minimum speed to coast away from a body indefinitely meaning to move away from and never reverse direction, monotonically in other words. You can't "hang" unless you are orbiting. Orbiting is short of "escaping". Different altitude orbits have different energy levels, all short of escape velocity.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yeah, but it can plug up the pipes.

--

Rick
Reply to

But you do!

Reply to
krw

It fails any test you could dream up.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

How does it feel, AlwaysWrong, to be SED's favourite object of ridicule?

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:45:43 +0200, Jeroen Belleman Gave us:

A dingledorf like you wouldn't know.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 18:20:57 +0100, Pomegranate Bastard Gave us:

I am currently working on a 'slow light' project. Hardly in ridicule.

More like laughing my ass off at the likes of retards like you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

An object launched from the surface of a planet, under ideal conditions (no atmosphere and such) at exactly escape velocity, will never return. It will keep going away, at ever decreasing velocity, the limit being zero velocity at infinite distance and time. It won't hang or orbit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

He is almost as bad as those who try to offend him and accomplish nothing but to trash the thread and even the group. SED has a bad reputation on usenet mostly from this sort of pointless BS.

--

Rick
Reply to

He's *gotta* enjoy it. He tries so hard.

Reply to
krw

You are a perfect study on "slow light", DimBulb.

They're coming to take you away, ha, ha...

Reply to
krw

In your dreams, DimBulb. It's your brain that's slow. Anyway, why are you wasting time here when there are floors to mop?

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Except that there's this big yellow thing away up yonder. ;) Escape velocity depends a bit on direction and angular momentum as a result.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah, in practice something out there will nab it, so a thing launched at below theoretical escape velocity will never come back. The universe is full of potholes.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well it could whip around the pothole and come back to land on your head :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:52:33 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Just when you thought you were out... they pull you back in!

-Michael Corleone

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 17:14:55 +0100, John Devereux Gave us:

Only if you are attending a wedding in some middle eastern town.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Of course "escape velocity" includes ol' Sol. If it doesn't escape the sun's gravity, it may just come back. I believe one of the V'gers has achieved escape velocity.

Reply to
krw