insane

It's been done, but nobody seems to be using it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

'Politics' derives from the greek, 'polis' meaning a city-state; the citizenry; the population; and 'tics' meaning a small insect that sucks human blood.

I'm with George--the best thing to do with nuclear waste is to burn it. We're only using a fraction of the fuel.

But, if we set that example, others follow, and the world supply of nasty isotopes soon explodes (so to speak). It's a nuisance.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It's an attractive option - or at least as attractive as an option involving large stocks of dangerously radioactive material can be.

It could be a good bit worse than a nuisance. Flixborough was a nuisance, Chernobyl was a nuisance, Bhopal was a rather more murderous nuisance, Fukashima didn't kill anybody, but inconvenienced a whole lot of people.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Makes my argument against them poly-ticks stronger; produce one or more proven acceptable ways of storage, and them ways are toast.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Discussing Chernobyl and Fukushima are irrelevant to the issue of nuclear waste disposal, not to mention completely unrelated disasters.

The issue of radioactive waste is one of impending disaster that we can only imagine, not forecast.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:37:54 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Blow it off into the sun.. Just don't include any Iron in it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Absurd, but it would only take half the energy to "blow it off into" the void (escape velocity).

Reply to
krw

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 20:57:15 -0400, krw Gave us:

Wrong. Achieving said velocity with the Sun opposite the launch is harder than directly toward it.

Probably the void between your ears made you so blatantly stupid.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

AlwaysWrong. To "hit" the sun, you have to cancel the orbial velocity of the Earth.

You always live up to your name, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Krw is far too dim to realise that IncandescentLinuxUserNumeroUno is merely one manifestation of AlwaysWrong. Jamie is another, and krw seems to have aspirations to the title too.

There a times when John Larkin makes a bid as well.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

About 42 km/s to escape the solar system from earth's orbit about 30 to hit the sun from the same spot, but less either way with gravity assists.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

[Snip ...]

To put radioactive waste on top of a cylinder filled to the brim with highly energetic chemicals with a track record of blowing up at the slightest mishap must be about the stupidest suggestion ever imagined.

It's also ludicrous to believe that it would be safer to keep it in surface storage and guard it. Humans don't have the attention span to tend it for long enough to become harmless and in fact are more likely to abuse it sooner or later.

To get rid of the stuff, drill a nice deep hole in a dry geologically stable layer of rock, dump it in and seal it. (No, salt domes are not stable, quite the contrary.) Then let time do its thing. Finding layers stable over a million years should be easy. Presto, problem solved.

I have a hunch that the waste of today may become a valuable resource tomorrow. Don't put it away too deeply.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:19:24 +0200, Jeroen Belleman Gave us:

No such "track record", stupid, lying asshole.

Bellering elephant retard Joe spouts off again.

Yer dad left an R out of your name. Ring that non-existent bell, dumbfuck Belleman.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 15:19:24 +0200, Jeroen Belleman Gave us:

You are an idiot, and yes, dumbfuck, salt domes are VERY stable.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You scored a four-er. Pretty good!

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

The ol' DimBulb is back!

Reply to
krw

I saw some documentary about a storage for toxic waste in an old saltmine. In the mine they had a "library" with a samples from all that was stored there, laid out so it would be easy to find the location from the samples

Don't know if it was for potential reuse or just as a record

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's never been away, unfortunately!

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Iron is 100.000% neutral, cannot be fused, and cannot be fissioned.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...where it then can (gravity) migrate into clouds that encircle the earth and interact with incoming and outgoing energy, etc with TOTALLY unknown consequences. Once there, it would be economically impossible to "fix".

But in the sun, its gravity keeps the stuff away..

Reply to
Robert Baer