Ignorance at its absolute finest...

Third item: "Think before you shop at Wal-Mart" ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I can see November from my house :-)

With a face like that she should be angry... should be towards her parents though...

Jeff Johnson

Depends on how you define 'ignorant' as she's well educated in and knowledgeable of liberal propaganda. It's only reality she's ignorant of, as indicated by her 'disdain' for companies who "charge American consumers more money than what it took to produce their products."

Even the uneducated Eliza Doolittle knew she needed to charge more for her flowers than they cost or else there's no point, called "profit," to the exercise of selling them. So, you see, it takes a lot of 'education' to unlearn the obvious.

Reply to
flipper

Yep. That's the key line in the propaganda :-(

...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Oh, but don't you see? Profit is EVIL!!!! NOBODY should gain ANYTHING from ANYBODY else. The Government is supposed to put everybody in equal poverty, to make sure nobody has any more of those evil profits that make some people unequal. Everybody must be equally broke.

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Reply to
flipper

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

American consumers?! Is she even here legally?

And I wonder what angle she's pulling. I'll bet magazine editors all over the country are chomping at the bit to hire recent college grad writers who attack big ad revenue sources. There's nothing new in that story anyway. Yawn...

Reply to
mpm

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

The problem with people bitching about Wal-Mart is they didn't buy the stock for 10 cents a share in 1975 when nobody had heard about Wal- Mart. Sort of late to bitch about it now at $53 a share.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Not all that late..it pays dividends that will not quit despite what His O-ness does to the "economy", and those dividends have been increasing as well...check the track record for the last 25+ years.. Better yet, do the DRIP..

Reply to
Robert Baer

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

=3Dv&p=3Ds&lan...

at

Go to WalMart Pick up twenty items at random, preferably non-grocery. Jot down the countries of origin for those items.

How many are from overseas? What are the ramifications to our national economy, employment, etc..? Isn't this just another way to screw the middle class? Just in a round-about fashion?

Although, I guess we do have to service our debt to China somehow. Maybe a vibrant market for their goods is the way to go.

Reply to
mpm

Riiiggghhhttt..... So who shops at wal-mart? All the rich racist white homophobes, right?

I wonder what it would be like if the middle class shopped there? Then they would be able to have a little more money since the products are cheaper? I mean, you know, after the government rapes them they don't have too much left over so they have to make it last.

How bout the government stop overtaxing the businesses and individuals then maybe people can afford to purchase products made in America? Ever thought about that? Of course not cause your whole premis is that big government is good.

I guess next you will try to get some regulation to force people to by American?

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0|

he

&a=3Dv&p=3Ds&lan...

what

ey

en

is

There have been entire books written about whether on balance, WalMart is a net positive for the country. No need to re-hash all of that here.

As for my "premis[e]" that big government is good - I never said that. However, I do think that "big government done right, and in the right areas of commerce, defense and the environment" is ESSENTIAL. Sadly, as I think you will agree, big government often doesn't do it "right". Not even close.

In contrast, I don't think the LACK of big government is a good idea either. You need look no further than the repeal of the Glass-Steagle Act, and the subsequent meltdown of the economy. Or, the recent safety and operational revelations in the offshore oil drilling industry. Weak oversight at best. (Tens of thousands of unused wells, no longer use, and nobody checks them for leaks.) I could go on.

My point about WalMart was to raise the question of whether is it appropriate to continue to reinforce our "Prisoner's Dilemma" with China, allowing them to "economically control" our middle class, and in large part, our financial well-being.

How much money poor or middle-class folks have to spend is a separate issue, and maybe they'd have more money if Wal-Mart didn't run so many other (higher-paying) jobs out of existence? And since China manipulates its currency (I'll pick on them because in my experience, many WalMart products originate in China), isn't that a form of unfair competition?

Reply to
mpm

How does the availability of better products at cheaper prices "screw the middle class?"

Isn't finding a better deal on products they need, kind of the _opposite_ of "screw"ing them?

The ones who are screwing the middle class are the unions and the "progressive" politicians and their unelected bureaucrat minions.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Well, you don't know how wrong you are.

The Environment will take care of Herself, thank you very much. This is, after all, Mother Earth - she survived the extinction of the dinosaurs, and I'm sure she's survived other disasters - if people want to poison themselves, Mother Earth will go, "Ho hum, let's try another species."

Defense? Stand down the military, quit trying to be policeman to the whole world, bring all the occupation forces home, back all the Navy ships into the harbors and plug their reactors into the power grid, quit pissing off everybody in the world with crusades, get rid of insane gun control laws, and go back to a Well-Regulated Militia for national defense (namely, armed and well-trained able-bodied adult citizens), at a cost of zero.

Acknowledge everyone's Creator-given Right to defend her own life, limb, family, and property from invaders/tyrants/bad people in general.

As far as Commerce, the best thing the government can do is get entirely out of the way. People are grownups. It is the responsibility of the one with the cash to see to it that he or she gets the most value they can for their cash - well, that's just the Free Market; so much has been written about the benefits of the market that I find it hard to believe that there are still people who believe that government control could possibly be better.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Because you don't want to lose again?

You leftists always assume (it's the reason you're leftists) that people, thus governments, are perfectible. "Communism has never been done right." Balderdash.

...and then BIG-government picks up the pieces and stops Darwin in action. You want it both ways.

That worked out well. How many violations has BP ignored?

...and you think that "somebody" should be the federal government.

So you want a trade war. Got it.

What "high paying jobs"? The corner general store was never known as "high paying".

...and your solution is a global trade war. Nice.

Reply to
krw

I hear what you are saying, but it all comes across to me as if you're living in some fantasyland dreamworld, that will never prove practical. Sort of like Alan Greenspan's ideas on steroids. Bigger is not always better, but smarter often is. No argument from me on whether the US does the right things.

As to defense, if we pulled back, as you seemed to advocate, the US standard of living would plummet. You'd need those guns to defend your life in the ensuing revolt.

As to commerce, Free Markets are not free, and they never have been. Not in the history of mankind. Another pipe dream.

We obviously differ greatly in our views, but probably not in the ultimate goals we would like to see achieved. How to get there? Maybe it's a total dodge of the issue, but frankly, I see the world as being hugely overpopulated. To me, that dwarfs these issues of economics, defense and commerce.

Reply to
mpm

get your WalMart facts correct, then spout.

I won't even reply to your comments about a global trade war.

Reply to
mpm

Clueless, as always.

...because you can't.

Reply to
krw

-

No f*****ad... I'm just tired of responding to your drivel. You see mpm and immediately get a hard-on because you think you need to show your superiority plumage. You haven't quite figured out yet that I don't give a damn. I wrote you off long ago....

Reply to
mpm

Hopefully, by having this kind of dialogue. :-)

Yes, there is a lot of population, but have you ever noticed that the more prosperous a given nation becomes, the less overpopulated it seems to get? Affluent people don't need 10 kids to help out in the fields.

So, the way to control the population is to encourage Free Markets, because Free Markets invariably bring prosperity.

But I wish there was a way to get the US to stand down from its position as chief planetary bully.