chopper transistors

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good substitute for the 2N2356 and 2N3082 chopper transistors. They're mentioned on page 90 of GE transistor manual, but appear not to be manufactured anymore. I'm tinkering around with a design that will require transistors in the inverted position.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Reply to
ozzy

Can't you use a mosfet, or an analog switch?

John

JFETs are quite popular for that as well, on account of their low capacitances.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg
2SC2878 is the only one I know of.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

John,

relevant point on Mosfets, however my design is tailored around having Vbe's closely matched. I believe this is more difficult to do with Mosfets, although not to sure about Jfets.

Reply to
ozzy

Tim,

Thanks for that, will be giving them a try as they're readily available from RS.

Reply to
ozzy

Matching Rds(on) should not be too hard (at same drive level).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Zetex makes some rather nice low sat dual transistors..try (in this order): ZXT12N50DXTA, ZXT09N50DE6TA, and ZDT1053TA. As far as singles go, the ZTX1048A, ZXT1049A, ZTX1051A, or FZT1053ATA. You will notice that i purposely picked high beta transistors; for lower on saturation voltage, run them inverted. Zetex seems to make a goodly bunch of high inverse beta transistors - which makes them better as choppers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

JFETS are good as low level choppers. Bipolars suck, all sorts of offset problems to design out.

I've never tried MOSFETS. Should be as good as / better than JFETS, AFAICS.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fred Abse

JFETs rock in this domain. The only MOSFET that I like in this area was a quad, the SD5400. But it has changed ownership and to me it's now too much of a boutique part. Digikey doesn't have it, expensive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

CMOS analog switches work. You just have to be cautious with regard to charge injection. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:03:00 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Conrad here no longer seems to carry the 74HC4053, they do have the 74HC4051. What is happening? I find 74HC4053 one of the most useful chips ever.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

For us non-chip guys the main problem in the last 2-3 years is a whole different one: You have to be able to obtain the parts without a 40+ week leadtime. Seriously, that is driving a lot of design decisions these days.

Just got off a conf call with an IC design house and my client. Man, you guys have it easy. "Can we change the Rdson for the n-channel device over yonder to about 20% or less?" ... "Yep, sure, consider it done". All they do is type another number into the channel width attribute field. Now try that in the discrete world in the year 2010. Type in your part number ... out-of-stock ... type in another ... 22wk leadtime with no guarantees ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Stick to ancient parts ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I usually do anyhow :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

All semiconductor parts are hard to get these days. We have lead times from 3 months to over a year. Hopefully, won't be like the late 90s when resistors and capacitors were hard to get.

As for CMOS switches, I've found Fairchild's FSA66 and FSA266 to be super duper. Somewhere around 0.05pc of charge injection.

Reply to
qrk

0.05 pF is amazing, but that's measured at Vgen=0, Rgen=0. Do you have experience with more general signal levels? There are no graphs on the datasheets.

And status = obsolete!

Most of those logic-family analog switches have huge charge injections.

John

Fairchild calls this a "datasheet"!

Most of their analog switches are documented about this well.

John

That is amazing, the best I found for my application was 0.5pC - the DG636 (and some others in the same ballpark).

And then there is the LTC6943/LTC1043, as featured in AoE and around half of all LTC application notes, I guess they're pretty proud of it.

Anyone know of any significantly better (non-obselete) ones?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Of course. It's "eco-green", so obviously not intended for use by anyone with any technical competence.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise