IE Crap

I just use Firefox. An ftp URL works just fine. Firefox knows how to do anonymous FTP access.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Same here. But I use WSFTP to send stuff "up". ...Jim Thompson

The ftp URL is based on the file path on the server's system. You have to know where an anonymous ftp logon will drop you when you connect. User logons usually place the initial directory at the user's home directory. For anonymous ftp, there's usually a user called 'ftp'. From there, I usually just grab the file path (highlight, copy, paste) and stick it on the server addres part of the URL.

If you are working on a Windows system, the path delimiters are the wrong slashes, so they'll have to be fixed.

A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.
                -- George Wald
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

So do I. Do you know a trick to instantly generate a link for pasting into a post without having to type it in?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ummm, that was what I was using.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Not "instantly", but...

I go to my website, scroll down to the filename, wipe across the name to highlight and copy it, then paste it onto the end of the URL in the address bar, highlight and copy the whole thing, then paste into an SED post. ...Jim Thompson

Well, if FTP upload software was a little smarter it could do that correctly. Since I have to tell it exactly where on my server I want the file placed it knows the path and could generate a URL regardless of the OS. But it doesn't :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

WSFTP stores all my _various_ FTP sites info, usernames and passwords. I have around 10 I use regularly... my site plus many customers. ...Jim Thompson

Same here. But it still cannot generate the proper URL for posting.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

Spend a little money on a utility called "Clip-Path", it can grab filenames with forward or back slashes, your choice.

I find it invaluable for getting the right paths into schematic title bars. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The only thing bipartisan in this country is hypocrisy

I do it almost the same way. But it would be really nice if the full URL would simply pop up somewhere.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, you can't guarantee this unless you constrain how you use the client and the FTP server itself.

E.g., when I log on to an FTP server on which I have an account (i.e., not as "anonymous"), I end up in my "home" directory. The server can hide its whereabouts in the *actual* filesystem from me -- since I can only get to this point and "points south". (i.e., my URL is ftp://dyuniskis@ftphost/ -- but this won;t work for anyone else because you it prompts for a password... *my* password)

You would have to discipline yourself to specify a specific path to "your files" that also applies to others (who *don't* log in as "you").

There are workarounds for this but you can't universally apply them. Many "publishing" tools will let you specify a base directory (fragment of a URL) that it uses to rewrite your actual URL. You can also talk to whomever administers your server so that this is more transparent (it exposes more information about the server, though)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

It doesn't have anything to do with passwords or whatever, or who has access. On my web server there is a fixed directory structure that is always the same, except that it may grow here and there.

All the program would have to do is take a user entered starter sequence and add the rest of the path. In my case:

and then the path and file name. It would make the posting of an idea or sketch much easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The point is that the URL that *you* use to access *your* "account" (can) differs from the URL that would be *publicly* accessible. If you are feeding *your* URL to this "program", it has to know how to strip off the initial part of the path that is related to "your account" and replace it with the initail part of the path that represents the "publicly accessible" EQUIVALENT of "your account".

E.g., I put my WWW content in ftp://dy@host/udd/dy/MyWebStuff yet it is accessed as http://host/~don. I.e., /udd/dy/MyWebStuff gets replaced by /~don (and the protocol changed to http).

Arrange to have your "ftp" directory mapped to your web page. Copy a file into your "ftp" directory. Then, go to your web page. Find the file. Right click and copy the link to the clipboard. Then, paste it "wherever".

Reply to
D Yuniskis

If you weren't so cheap, you'd know about MacroExpress and ClipPath... and my newest little toy, "GetData Graph Digitizer", which can take a graphic, such as a curve in a data sheet, and digitize the points... as fast as you can blink ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Well, I would be smart enough to enter the public one if it was different :-)

Thanks, good idea. Now I'll have to find out how this path mapping works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ever hear of a bookmark? ...Jim Thompson

Hey, I am not cheap when it comes to tool, and SW is a tool. Yesterday when you mentioned it I briefly searched for Clip-Path but just got photo services. And I'm already married so we don't need a wedding photographer :-)

But I rarely have a need to digitize a graph these days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

...which will save you lots of repetitive typing.

Free...

I find it handy for digitizing data sheet information, curve fitting a behavioral equation to it, then using in a device model. ...Jim Thompson

First you need to have the web page up on your screen before you can bookmark.