Firefox 3.5

Downloaded and installed in about 90 seconds. Everything I had in place still works. Tab management is better, and it seems to load web pages faster.

Why can't Microsoft program this well?

John

Microsoft would be spending 99% of their effort on ways to disable the program for people they don't think have paid for it or have the right to use.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Has the CPU hogging problem been fixed? Art

Reply to
Artemus

What hogging? Mine needs short 4% bursts. What hogs and hangs is when Adobe Acrobat Reader fires up, IMHO one of the worst pieces of SW ever written in terms of crash frequency.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's that special "Joerg version" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

The CPU usage goes to 100% for several seconds, FF is totally non-responsive to mouse/KB input, as is all other programs. Google "firefox cpu". It's a well known problem for which I've tried the known solutions to no effect. I agree with you about Acrobat Reader. It halts everything else when firing up inside of any browser, or outside. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Don't see much problems either. IMHO the more of the web browsers you have installed, the more unnecessary problems and holes in the security you have added by yourself.

Acrobat gets slower and more hungry with every new version.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Adobe may be the only major operation that programs worse than Microsoft.

I use Foxit Reader (*not* as a browser plugin) to view pdf's, CutePDF (as a virtual printer) to make them. Both are solid and blinding fast.

John

essage

ive

he known

I'd call it fixed with the new release.

iring up

Dump Acrobat, Foxit is infinitely better on or offline:

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8er

That may very well be true, although I used to believe that wasn't possible.

But I need to see PDFs right out of the browser and out of the email program. Store to disk and then view is impossible in my line of work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It works. When I click on a pdf from Firefox, it pops a dialog box to ask me if I want to view immediately or save to disk. I can even set the default to always view. But it's not a browser plugin, it's just the Windows file type association. Word isn't a browser plugin either. Or Irfanview, which I use to view attached jpegs and gifs and tiffs.

John

Ok, that's only one click more and would work. Often I receive emails with loads of PDFs and whatnot attached. Seconds later the phone rings, with a client asking me to guide them through.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I just installed Foxit on my machine.

When I click on a pdf file ( from Microchip web site for instance) Firefox open a new window with the selected file.

How do I get it to open in the browser ??

I downloaded the Firefox plugin and installed it ( Foxit is listed in the Addons ) but it still opens a new window.

Any ideas ?

don

PS: I set this same note to Foxit, but I am sure that will take longer.

Reply to
don

I installed Firefox 3.4 this morning as well.

don

Reply to
don

Yes, just downloaded and installed 3.5. I like the new "open a new tab button". I also use Foxit Reader, Click on a pdf file and it opens in a new window, much faster than Acrobat. Mike

Reply to
amdx

That was already available if you "customized" your toolbar.

I use the full Acrobat v7 (not the Reader), have no troubles whatsoever.

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

I don't know off hand, but I don't see any advantage in doing it that way. The only visible difference is the program name in the title bar.

Foxit often fails on PDFs with editable fields (like a form to fill out), but works on all the other PDFs.

It's also better in that you don't have to install it. It can run as a single EXE from a flash drive for example. But that may only be true of earlier versions.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The user manual states that Firefox browser should open PDF files in the browser.

The Foxit plugin for Firefox kind of suggests that as well.

But it does not work.

Why did they put it in then ?

I noticed that the entire pdf file must be downloaded before the file will open at all.

With Acrobat, the file would open right away and you can see the first page.

I understand why people are miffed with Acrobat "hanging" their systems. I was hopeing Foxit would have fixed that.

Now the pdf file hangs until its fully downloaded.

don

Reply to
don

IIRC, for that capability to be present the PDF file must have been saved in the "fast web view" format.

From the help file for PDFCreator: "Fast web view: When this setting is used, PDFCreator will optimize its PDF's [sic] for fast web viewing. Instead of the entire PDF document being downloaded before being displayed, it will display it as it is downloaded."

Which isn't to say that some reader implementations may not support display-while-loading or may do so incorrectly.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Because they hoped it would work, maybe?

As a rule of thumb, if something doesn't work, don't use it that way, especially if it isn't necessary.

That is NOT a hang. You're waiting for transmission, not processing.