Firefox and PDFs

The new built-in PDF viewer is terrible, and there's no obvious way to get back to my old mode: when I click on a PDF, it asks me whether I want to save it, or open it in Foxit.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation

Don't blame Firefox. You have to select the defalt program for the .pdf filetype.

Right click on a .PDF file and select 'Properties'

Click on 'Change' and select what you want as the default program.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you are using Windows: Tools | Options | Applications Scroll down to Portable Document Format (PDF) Use the drop-down arrow to select what you want (probably what you had before FF19.0 changed it).

--

Jeff
Reply to

Tried that, didn't work.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Fixit is my default viewer, but Firefox doesn't respect that. If I edit about:config to set PDFJS:disabled to TRUE, it then always wants to save the file, not open it with Foxit.

What a tangle.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm guessing something like; about:config set pdfjs.disabled to true

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

It's not up to Firefox. It only opens the files you tell it to. If you set Foxit as the the default like I explained, that is your default. Do you have the Foxit Firedfox plugin installed? If so, Foxit will open it in Firefox.

Click 'Tools' on the Firefox toolbar. Then click 'Add-ons' A page will open. Click 'plugins' and see what's installed. You can disable the plugin, if it's there.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't know if this may be a lead:

Some years ago, I wrestled with Mozilla to prevent it from opening pdf's inside the browser window. I wanted it to start acroread in its own window, which wasted far less screen surface.

What finally did the trick was to delete .../plugins/nppdf.so. (This was Linux. I suppose it's ...\plugins\nppdf.dll on Windows.) Then you tell it to use whatever pdf reader you want as a helper application. Since my Linux box was also the victim of obligatory automatic updates (snarl!), I also had to install a script to re- delete this damn shared object library at regular intervals...

For what it's worth.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

At least on my machine, there are two entries in the Applications list, one for "PDF Document" and another further down for "Portable Document Format (PDF)". You may need to set both, and any others likewise.

There are for instance also "Adobe Acrobat Forms Document", "Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File", and "application/vnd.fdf" as well.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

This is a FF issue and not an OS one. Right?

In FF enter "about:config" in the url window and search for pdf to see what's going on. Adding an extension or plugin like Foxit Reader may solve your problem. Art

Reply to
Fred

Tools:Options:Applications and then change the application for what u are trying to automate.

I don't have the latest FF but that is how it's done here.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I did not install Foxit, Firefox did without asking.

Reply to
hamilton

Wonder if it could be because you have FF configured to use Foxit as your PDF reader ?:-}

Cluck, cluck >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I've been cursing at the same change of behaviour.

Jeff's suggestion has worked for me. Scroll down to the Portable Document Format (PDF) entry, not the Adobe Acrobat entries near the top. I set it to always ask and then restarted Firefox. Success. Arrogance on Mozilla's part to override a previous setting.

--
Regards
Malcolm

What's this "pdfjs" stuff? I don't see it here.

preferences applications search "portable document format"

adjust actions as desired.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Check; when one tells Foxit to be the default,you are forever more STUCK with it (unless you use Open With). Foxit is a liar saying to change (back to Adobe) that all one has to do is set (Adobe) as the default, which is impossible.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I found the same a while ago, its the principle reason I now avoid Foxit.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Yes! That worked, setting the PDF further down the list to "always ask."

Thanks, guys.

Yup. Their PDF reader isn't ready for prime time. The fonts are ugly, and at some zoom levels entire pages go blank.

The new tabbed Foxit is pretty nice.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I rarely use the Adobe bugbloatware. If I do want to (say, for filling out a form) I can always save the PDF file and drag/drop it onto the Adobe icon.

I suppose I could uninstall Foxit, if I decided that I don't like it. But I do.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You are confused, as usual. Being senile, obnoxious, and confused isn't a good working formula.