Firefox Bookmarks

Can someone remind me how to copy Firefox bookmarks from one machine's Firefox to another machine's Firefox. ...Jim Thompson

Bookmarks->Organize Bookmarks, and the backup/restore options will show up.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Where are those files stored? I need to copy and relocate so the second machine can find them... NOT in Program Files. ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

I usually save the bookmarks, with the 'export' as HTML option, on the Desktop.

Then, you can email the file to whoever needs it. They in turn 'import' the HTML file once they detach it from their email.

mike

Reply to
m II

Assuming you're running XP - the bookmarks are stored in documents and settings/user/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/[????].default/bookmarks.html Copy that file to the other machine. Art

Reply to
Artemus

message

Thanks! I'll look for that. ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

Export as HTML

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks! That allowed me to dump it out on "non-sacred" ground ;-) ...Jim Thompson

          Democrats are best served up prepared as a hash
           Otherwise the dogs will refuse to eat them :)

I just copy

C:\Documents and Settings\John Larkin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

which works to back up Firefox, or the equivalent for Thunderbird,

C:\Documents and Settings\John Larkin\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles

I use that to sync my email. At work, I carefully organize all my email into folders, but in my home and cabin machines I mostly let things pile up in a heap in Inbox. Now and then I burn a DVD from Profiles, which backs up my mail, and dump that into the two non-work machines.

John

When you select backup, you can use the pulldown menu and navigate/save them anywhere you want.

Reply to
JW

I first tried "Import" from the receiving machine, but didn't have "privileges".

I didn't know to "export as html" until Spehro so advised. Then I exported from the original machine to an allowed area on the network. And imported. Works fine. ...Jim Thompson

       The Ground Zero Mosque IS Appropriate When Renamed...
            The Obama Monument to American Impotence

You may have to log in at the administrator level. Or the directory/disk/server isn't set to share with the machine you want to import to. That problem could easily be solved with a USB memory stick.

Firefox (usually) exports them as HTML as a default. Nice thing is, you can click on the file you stored them into and it shows up like a "Jim's Bookmarks" web page. This also makes it rather straight forward to clean house, weed out all the bookmarks you no longer want, re-shuffle them, and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Good pointer! ...Jim Thompson

       The Ground Zero Mosque IS Appropriate When Renamed...
            The Obama Monument to American Impotence

See, young buck sometimes also know stuff :-)

I've done such clean-ups with an ancient version of MS-Word. Same for my web site. I never really warmed up to software such as Amaya because those still can't do some of the tricks Word can, like easy hyperlink jumping. Same for the various composers that often come with browsers but I haven't checked lately.

Another nice thing if you use that HTML file directly is that you can add comments such as "Another oddball idea to do XYZ but a bit hokey, the next link may be better" or "This tastes great but gave me heartburn".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Have you ever looked at the so called HTML output from 'word' with a text editor? I'ts quite bloated, and QUITE messy. Open Office is better, and free.

Some of the nastiest websites I've ever looked at were built with Word.

You can do that with Composer which is built into Netscape, Seamonkey or a lot of other free HTML authoring programs. Real men can do it with Notepad.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OO didn't do such a great job in my case. Broke links and all that.

Is mine so nasty? And forget about the web3 testers and all that, that don't matter much.

I know. But I use Firefox and Thunderbird. So there ain't no composer no more.

Nah, real men do that with edlin :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Then you don't know how to use it.

Yes. Here is your home page:

Analog Consultants

Joerg Schulze-Clewing

Cameron Park, California, U.S.A.

Contact:

German - Deutsch

Consulting Services to Industry:

Analog and mixed signal circuit design

Fast digital circuitry

EMC compliance matters

Cost reduction

Production process optimization

Due diligence

Services

Where can Analog Consultants help?

Experience

Ethics

On finding a good consultant

Useful hints for system designers

Composer is part of S E A M O N K E Y. NOT F I R E F O X. Thunderbird is Email & news, nothing more.

Then use it.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

style='font-size:16.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt'>

So? Tested with pretty much all browsers there are. Worked with all of them.

One page initially didn't work, with IE (!) of all things. Turned out there was in incompatibility between Word and IE. Both Microsoft products ... but was fixed after disabling a check box in Word.

I know that. But I don't want to install Seamonkey only to edit my web site.

I am not that hardcore command line oriented anymore :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

style='font-size:16.0pt;mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt'>

You asked. There is a lot of useless crap there, thid is needed by Word, but not on a website.

IE has the most compatibility problems.

I use IE, Firefox, Seamonkey and Google Chrome to test websites. Every page, and every function. It's amazing the number of people I see in the activity logs on some websites, who are still using Netscape 4.xx to browse the web. It would choke on your site.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For little guys I would agree, but if you're a big company being standards compliant does become important -- you can definitely drive off customers if your web site doesn't work in their browser of choice (or at least doesn't detect a browser you didn't design for/test and alerts the user to that fact), and it can be a bit of a public-relations embarassment if it site doesn't work with, e.g., screen readers or other devices for the disabled. (...notice how quickly captchas went from being graphics-only to have a little "listen for the captcha" button...).

Well, there's Seamonkey:

-- uses the same? or possibly slightly-forked? codebase. (It certainly has the "look and feel" of Firefox.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner