I want an antacid they doesn't affect the taste of beer.

Now my beer tastes like shit.

Reply to
The Real Andy

take them after drinking.....

or maybe your tummy is trying to tell you something, chat with your doctor

or maybe this has the answer

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

My doctor said he could give me something, but then so did one of the gay guys at work. I decided not to take that something. I dont think that something would make the beer taste better. Then perhaps it might.

I bought a wee little version of one of them things the other day to take on my hiking trips. When I go hiking, i cant take beer, cause the glass is to heavy, so I take red wine. MY wee little thing (the one i bought) does not have tasty antacids either. But when you drink cask wine the antacids actually taste ok.

Reply to
The Real Andy

In message , dated Fri, 25 Aug 2006, The Real Andy writes

It's not possible; any antacid neutralises the acid in the beer, and indeed ruins the taste. I'd rather drink used washing-up water.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Fri, 25 Aug 2006, martin griffith writes

Much bigger 'knives' have been made for publicity purposes.

89
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Calcium carbonate tabs.

A better idea is to eat foods that don't give you the problem. Eating too much rich food ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I don't get it. Are you mixing the antacid with the beer?

Have you tried Zantac (ranitidine)?

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Eat a live toad with your antacid. Then, by comparison, your beer will taste exquisite.

Reply to
Jon

If you've done an overstuffy in the tumloader, finish the job with a ladleho of brandy butter, then pukeit all the way to the toileybox.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I suggest that you get the type that only works after you've swallowed the capsule, e.g. Nexium, or Prevacid, or somesuch. They work much better, anyway. And (I think) they don't deplete your body's electrolytes, like common antacids do.

But, if you insist on using an instant-acting antacid, my favorite is a half-teaspoon of Baking Soda dissolved in four ounces of water (1/8-liter?) (recipe was printed on box). Its taste, at first, might remind you of the smell of the inside of a tire's inner tube. But you might learn to love it. And you might want to disregard the instructions that say to "NEVER consume it when your stomach is full of food or drink".

Cheers,

Tom Gootee

Reply to
tomg

When I get heartburn, I use baking soda, but much stronger - like, a half- teaspoon in 1/4 glass (about a shot) of water. It tastes like baking soda, (pretty bland, actually - kinda like sand) but the burn just goes away. AAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! :-)

But mostly, I don't eat crap that gives me heartburn, and I'm not the ultra-stress-type-A-give-oneself-ulcers type either. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Have you tried stopping shoveling it in before you hurt yourself?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

I would first check warnings about mixing alcohol with *any* prescription drug, there always seems to be a danger of liver damage.

Yep- you can't beat the old-fashioned remedies. But I think it is simpler to just know which foods don't work for you, and avoid them. Another complicated strategy is to avoid stuffing yourself like a pig, and to allow ample time for digestion before bed.

I found the baking soda to be tasteless, and don't recall that warning. There is a warning for people on salt restricted diets as the Na in the sodium bicarbonate combines with the Cl in stomach acid HCl to form NaCl= salt.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Very good advice.

It's no fun without a liver. Even non-prescription Tylenol can damage your liver, if taken excessively.

Well, sure. But remember: The OP said that beer was involved. :-)

I shouldn't have spoken for anyone's taste buds but my own.

The box of Arm&Hammer Baking Soda that's now in my kitchen says, on the side panel with major heading "Drug Facts", under sub-heading "Warnings", after three other warnings (which are about sodium-restricted diets, prescription drug interactions, and children under 5), in all upper-case: "STOMACH WARNING: TO AVOID SERIOUS INJURY, DO NOT TAKE UNTIL POWDER IS COMPLETELY DISSOLVED. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT WHEN OVERLY FULL FROM FOOD OR DRINK." (et al)

- Tom Gootee

Reply to
tomg

In message , dated Mon, 28 Aug 2006, snipped-for-privacy@fullnet.com writes

This is because if the stomach lining becomes alkaline, the protective effect that prevents you digesting it becomes ineffective.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

[snip]

It doesn't take much.

Have you noticed the recent "cover-your-ass" Tylenol ads... "If you don't follow our recommended dosage, we'd rather you didn't take it".

Personally, I seem to be allergic to the stuff, one tablet and I get dizzy and disoriented. So it's on my no-no list.

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

It's reacting with the alcohol. If you get heart trouble, it's often the only routine headache treatment you are allowed. No aspirin or ibuprofen.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hmmmm?

My heart medication regimen includes one 325mg enteric-coated aspirin per day... I have clotting issues... my heart attack (July, 1998) was caused by a clot that just about closed down the artery called "LAD" (lateral anterior descending).

I've only seen aspirin contraindicated for people with ulcers.

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

That's a huge dose for anti-clotting. The norm is 75 mg. But haven't you been told that you must not take any more aspirin, or any ibuprofen?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Alcohol and Tylenol don't mix. as was discovered by a doctor where I work, causing liver damage.

Not sure where this thread came from. In my experiance, I usually take Tums, for a number of reasons, including heart palputations for calcium defficiency. I would say taking antiacids before mealtime is bad. Sometimes acid indigestion for me, can be relieved by taking vitamin C. I normally consume 1000 mg per day, but that indigetion and just plain nausia can be remidied often by the C. On the other hand, too much C can also give me acid indigestion which Tums relieves. I sometime take a litle AH Baking soda, because it does things better at times. As far as I know, taking an all day antacid is not going to cause taste shifts.

greg

Reply to
zekor