Pulsonix - what a waste of time

Whoops..... But you didn't finish the story. What did the people at Pulsonix say when you called or emailed them about this...?

Prescott

Reply to
Don Prescott

Pulsonix knows it's PB, and are trying to avoid the association ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

ROTFLMAO ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hi all,

Over the last couple of weeks (on and off) I've been trying to download the latest demo version of Pulsonix PCB software. This is a big file for a demo (55Mb) and even on broadband it takes a good while to come through. I went through the unavoidable 'enter all your particulars' bit that annoyingly erases all your details if you omit just one little section you must start from scratch again.) Anyway, after several attempts when I got to about 49Mb and it went t*ts-up repeatedly and lost the connection (even when the download manager companion program was supposed to be looking after the process) I

*finally* got to 55Mb., the download stopped but the 'manager' window remained open. No confirmation of any successful download, but no more bytes to come. I've done several searches on the hard disk, but there is no trace of their supposedly downloaded bloatware anywhere! What a waste of time that was. I hope no one on dial-up tries it! I must say I've had problems before on previous occasions trying to download Pulsonix., but this is just taking the piss. Anyone got any better suggestions for layout CAD?

Thanks,

P.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to

I haven't had any problems downloading it, and neither has any member of of the user group mentioned problems: the demo version is in fact a full version, if one has a license, and most users have upgraded via a download. They will post you a CD-ROM if you give them a ring.

You could try registering under a different name, to avoid the problem mentioned by Jim T. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

IME it's a waste of time. One invariably gets some sort of automated, off-the-shelf response telling you not to bother sending any further mail to "support@..." as there are no "humanoids" available to read it (to keep costs down, etc., etc.) I'd wasted enough time by that point. Fortunately, Leon - who appears to have some clout with the company - has come to my assistance on this one.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d." - William Blake, 1793.
Reply to
Paul Burridge

"Paul Burridge" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hello Paul, I just tried successfully a download a few minutes ago. The whole download took about 15 minutes with a high speed DSL link from my home. I am shure your download problems are caused my your service provider or a you have a bad phone line. The quality/speed of DSL over phone lines may be corrupted by crosstalk from neighbour lines too.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

Whoops..... But you didn't finish the story. What did the people at Pulsonix say when you called or emailed them about this...?

Prescott

Reply to
Don Prescott

Paul,

I just successfully downloaded the latest demo. The form is a pain, insisting for too much information.

I'm using Opera and used the built-in download manager. It took towards

10 minutes on my cable connection. Like already mentioned, Pulsonics will certainly mail you a CD, if you ask them.

Markus

Reply to
Markus Baertschi

Pulsonix customer support is excellent, even if you are just using the demo software. Someone was so impressed at the way his problems with the demo were sorted out that he has just bought the package.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I've had large downloads fail the same way. Sometimes the download is complete but the final assembly can't be moved to the destination folder due to lack of room there, partition with temp files full, Microsoft confusion, gremlins, etc.

I've then found the complete download in my Internet cache. It can be moved from there to wherever you have room for it.

--
Thaas
Reply to

This sort of thing happens mainly when you use a broken browser for downloading - IE is well-known for its failure to download large files properly (feel free to flame me if I am incorrect in assuming you used IE). It will happily tell you a download is complete when in fact there was a timeout and only part of the file is downloaded. Only the inexperianced, the brave, the lucky, or the very patient user would try to use IE for a large download. Get a download manager program (there are dozens available for free), or better still, use a real browser like Firefox or Opera, whose downloaders are vastly superior (as well as being better browsers in most other respects).

Reply to
David Brown

I haven't had any real problem downloading large files using html download with, yes, IE. The times I mentioned where a download failed similarly to the OP's problem have been few and far between. I posted my observation that the complete download ended up in the Internet cache because I thought it might be of interest to the OP.

Since getting ADSL even 60MB downloads don't seem to take very long. When problems occur I look for an FTP server with the same download available. Usually can't find one. I do have download managers. Never use them. Problems aren't serious or frequent enough to bother.

Sigh...I guess designing computers since 1975 isn't much experience, and it certainly hasn't taught me patience. If I was lucky I'd have won the lottery by now. Brave, yeah that's it. I'm brave.

--
Thaas
Reply to